6 Month Build

NickToye

So I want to build a decent system.  Not just for gaming, but for general use also.

By day I am a front end developer and my gf is a graphic designer - so we are both Mac users, and sometimes the iMac we have is occupied.  So I wanted to have a PC I can use for developing on, and of course for gaming too. ;)

I earn a decent salary, but I don't really want to be dropping a lot of my salary to buy all the best components in one go - I'd rather do it over a period of time.

So my first questions is, can that be done, or could I fall into the trap of components becoming obsolete?

Second questions is, what would be a good starter case and motherboard?

Thanks.

wait for zen amd's new cpus. they will be coming out in early 2017. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

ok, well trust me when I say this, I am a proper noob at all this.

What will the Zen AMD do for me?  Is this preferable over an i7 Intel CPU?

Get a z170 board from asus they are reliable. And this is a good case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146189&cm_re=nzxt-_-11-146-189-_-Product

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

I would buy storage (SSD and/or HDD), case, and power supply first. Then grapics, then I would decide on CPU and mobo.

1 minute ago, NickToye said:

The Ryzen cpu that he is talking about is for video editing. Its ok but the i7 6700k is good at video rendering and for video games.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

Ok, well when I used to buy PC's around 10 years ago, they quickly went out of date, so I essentially need a case and a motherboard that is not going to go out of date.

1. Budget & Location

I'd like to get this all done in under £2k.  My location is the UK.

2. Aim

The aim is to have a system that I can use for gaming, and also web development (my day job).  Games I usually tend to play are mainly city building games, but I'm interested in all really - apart from FPS, I suffer with motion sickness on those games.

3. Monitors

1 monitor, and I'd like to be able to run 4k on it.  My iMac is 4k, so I'd like the PC to be the same.

4. Peripherals

Keyboard and Mice a definite, although I'd rather have a slimmer mac-like keyboard then the chunkier keys found on many PC keyboards (in my experience anyway).  I already have a Windows 10 license that I am running on my iMac under Bootcamp.

Hope that helps.

26 minutes ago, NickToye said:

Ok, well when I used to buy PC's around 10 years ago, they quickly went out of date, so I essentially need a case and a motherboard that is not going to go out of date.

yea times has changed. for your build amd new rizen will be better its benchmarks result completes with a 1000 dollar cpu while it should cost around 400-500 dollar, really good value for money. if you want a i7 i would recommend an i7 5820k its a x99 system its fairly futureproof. for ram you at least need 16 GB ram if you want you can get 32 gb. for video card a 480 8 gb will do getting a 1070 would be preferable. thats just my 2 cent but if you can wait for rizen wait its such a good cpu the price.  

Well I'm not in a massive rush to buy all this, i'll have a look and see if there are any benchmark comparisons with this AMD chip.

Ok I am going to start considering the case.  I've seen this one (actually this is the most expensive in my local store)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/tower-cases/corsair-graphite-series-780t-full-tower-pc-case-10118419-pdt.html

Is this overkill?  All the reviews say its the best, but it's expensive - that kind of adds up for me though.  It has a lot of expansion slots, which is a plus for me, I like that option.

Hmm, so maybe not.

Ok so I'm probably rambling aimlessly here, but its a learning process right?  Researching watching videos and understanding what works with what.

So with that, I have another question - this time about memory.  I've seen a motherboard here in this thread that supports 64mb, but the i7 processor I was looking at as a reasonable option for my needs only supports 32mb.  Does that make sense?  Also how can I find out if a motherboard supports the memory and processor.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am learning.

4 hours ago, NickToye said:

This is what I have come up with.  Comments encouraged.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vJJQKZ

In my opinion, 32GB might be overkill, depends on what will you be developing, and I would suggest trading that AiO cooler like the Corsair H110i gtx or something like that. Also, try to find a newer SSD, maybe an EVO 850 or try and look for other name brands that are cheaper than Samsung.

wait for rizen as it should wipe the floor off the i7 6700k or 7700k

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 12/17/2016 at 0:23 AM, NickToye said:

when new stuff comes out there old stuff drops in price so you can get the same stuff for cheaper then if you bought it now and you can also buy the new stuff if you want

On 12/17/2016 at 0:31 AM, NickToye said:

cases don't really ever go out of date and neither do good mother boards unless some new really good port comes out

things that are not good in that design:

1. Anything that says: GAMING, means nothing\

2. 5400 rpm hard drives are out of date and id definitely suggest a 7200 rpm

3. your monitor isn't 4k

here is my suggestion if you want to buy it now https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VbHFm8

Well I am not looking at buying this all in one go.  So I have time for new stuff to come out.

5 hours ago, IHirs said:

when new stuff comes out there old stuff drops in price so you can get the same stuff for cheaper then if you bought it now and you can also buy the new stuff if you want

cases don't really ever go out of date and neither do good mother boards unless some new really good port comes out

things that are not good in that design:

1. Anything that says: GAMING, means nothing\

2. 5400 rpm hard drives are out of date and id definitely suggest a 7200 rpm

3. your monitor isn't 4k

here is my suggestion if you want to buy it now https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VbHFm8

is that monitor a 4k?

1 hour ago, NickToye said:

is that monitor a 4k?

Yes that is a 4K monitor but if you already have an iMac that is 4K, do you really need another 4K display?

Unless that is what you are aiming for, go ahead.

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

7 minutes ago, ZothOmmog said:

Yes that is a 4K monitor but if you already have an iMac that is 4K, do you really need another 4K display?

Unless that is what you are aiming for, go ahead.

I can't use my iMac as a monitor.

1 hour ago, NickToye said:

I can't use my iMac as a monitor.

Yes and no.

And like so many here have recommended, I would also recommend that you wait until Kaby Lake and Zen/Ryzen releases at CES 2017, so that you have more options available! :)

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

5 minutes ago, ZothOmmog said:

Yes and no.

And like so many here have recommended, I would also recommend that you wait until Kaby Lake and Zen/Ryzen releases at CES 2017, so that you have more options available! :)

Well I guess it's not recommended by Apple.