"Bassy" Headphones Not Bassy

Awakening

I just bought my first high-end pair of headphones, V-MODA Crossfade M-100s, and have been listening to them all day. However, I think there might be something wrong or that could be improved. I can hear the lower frequencies in them, but I can't really feel it. From what people say about them, I'd expect to be able to feel the bass at least a decent amount. Even at the highest volume the DAC will drive them I'm still not feeling the bass.

L440 Laptop > USB 2.0 A to B cable > Signstek USB DAC > 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable > Crossfade M-100 headphones.

I've tried going through my Windows settings but it hasn't really changed much. Any help would be great.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Um...what headphones have you used where you could "feel" the bass?

3 minutes ago, Awakening said:

I just bought my first high-end pair of headphones

I don't know what to expect, but the cup barely vibrates with the base when feeling it with my hands.

Try using an equalizer, or just turning the bass up. Have you tried on another device?

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

3 minutes ago, Awakening said:

Well, I hate to tell you that you can't really "feel" bass with headphones.

I guess if you have that much of an apatite for bass, try to find a used Sony XB-500 headphone. However, the M-100 is already very bassy, so my guess is that headphone bass is not for you.

10 minutes ago, SSL said:

I guess if you have that much of an apatite for bass, try to find a used Sony XB-500 headphone. However, the M-100 is already very bassy, so my guess is that headphone bass is not for you.

Isnt there that wearable bass backpack or something?

3 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Isnt there that wearable bass backpack or something?

top kek

14 minutes ago, SSL said:

Hmm. So you'd say just hearing the extra bass is an accurate description of a bassy headphone and that it's unlikely anyone means "it shakes your head?" I don't necessarily want it to do that, I'm just kind of a surprise to not really feel any of it at all.

15 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Try using an equalizer, or just turning the bass up. Have you tried on another device?

Just tried bumping up the 60Hz in VLC all the way and at full volume. Barely feel it. Tried the same song on my phone and it just seems like the bass is more drawn-out, but I don't know about heavier. I think I'm just used to my old stereo that had four big drivers and crossed over at like 140Hz and drew the bass out a lot. I think I might just need to get used to the shorter and more accurate bass the M-100s have and hearing it more than feeling it.

6 minutes ago, Awakening said:

Hmm. So you'd say just hearing the extra bass is an accurate description of a bassy headphone and that it's unlikely anyone means "it shakes your head?" I don't necessarily want it to do that, I'm just kind of a surprise to not really feel any of it at all.

Just tried bumping up the 60Hz in VLC all the way and at full volume. Barely feel it. Tried the same song on my phone and it just seems like the bass is more drawn-out, but I don't know about heavier. I think I'm just used to my old stereo that had four big drivers and crossed over at like 140Hz and drew the bass out a lot. I think I might just need to get used to the shorter and more accurate bass the M-100s have and hearing it more than feeling it.

Headphones aren't comparable to real speakers.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Headphones aren't comparable to real speakers.

With speakers you can put your hand on the subwooder and actually feel the bass.

4 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

With speakers you can put your hand on the subwooder and actually feel the bass.

If you have a decent sub you shouldn't need to be anywhere near it to feel the bass.

Just now, SSL said:

If you have a decent sub you shouldn't need to be anywhere near it to feel the bass.

I have a sub under my desk which shakes my desk and I keep my foot on it sooo...

How difficult would it be to hook up something like a BIC F12 subwoofer and have the low frequencies cross over to the sub and the rest to the headphones? Could I just use the coaxial out on my cheap DAC and the hardware crossover knob on the sub to accomplish that?

7 minutes ago, Awakening said:

How difficult would it be to hook up something like a BIC F12 subwoofer and have the low frequencies cross over to the sub and the rest to the headphones? Could I just use the coaxial out on my cheap DAC and the hardware crossover knob on the sub to accomplish that?

Why bother with headphones at that point?

9 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

I have a sub under my desk which shakes my desk and I keep my foot on it sooo...

Try the walls.

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

Why bother with headphones at that point?

You answered that yourself in one of your previous posts. "Headphones and speakers aren't the same." I'd be listening to them mostly at home anyways.

It's pretty much the same idea as the bass backpack except not being portable, but I can't imagine anyone actually wearing that in public anyways.

9 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Meh dual 21's and the whole room shakes. Its great. Shaking tables 100 feet away. And a 1400 watt amp, and a pair of 12in EV speakers for the mains. That system thumps

You can't go into listening to headphones thinking you're going to feel the bass. If you want to feel bass, you should get speakers instead.

4 minutes ago, Awakening said:

You answered that yourself in one of your previous posts. "Headphones and speakers aren't the same." I'd be listening to them mostly at home anyways.

It's pretty much the same idea as the bass backpack except not portable.

Yeah. So instead of crossing over to headphones, just get some decent mains and you're golden.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Meh dual 21's and the whole room shakes. Its great. Shaking tables 100 feet away. And a 1400 watt amp, and a pair of 12in EV speakers for the mains. That system thumps

Why xD

2 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Why xD

Aha, really. That's a concert-level sub setup. Why would you want that in your house? :o

1 minute ago, Awakening said:

Aha, really. That's a concert-level sub setup. Why would you want that in your house? :o

Its not normally in my house, Its for live audences, just store it here.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its not normally in my house, Its for live audences, just store it here.

Ahh. That makes a lot more sense.

If you want something that'll rattle your brain, you can check out the headphones listed in this thread. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

You should consider another amp/dac with bass boost or an already warm sounding amp/dac. For example, the Fiio makes headphones amps with bass boost. Cayin C5 is well known within bassheads.