Help me configure G-Sync

VagabondWraith
Go to solution Solved by WereCat,
22 minutes ago, KickinGravy said:

DONT use NVIDIA Inspector.

It introduces the same input lag as V-Sync for some weird reason.

Yes, you want to cap your FPS slightly below your maximum refresh rate so 140FPS cap is about right.

Use RivaTuner for that but you are always best of using in game limiter if available.

Yea, avoid V-Sync to avoid increased input lag.

I got my new monitor but have some questions: I was playing Ethan Carter Redux and was getting 160+ FPS. My understanding is G-Sync's range is 30-144Hz. Once you go above that, G-Sync is disabled and you're at the risk of screen tearing. I was reading online that some people enable both V-Sync & G-Sync in NVidia CP, and leave V-Sync disabled in-game. That way the refresh rate will never go above my monitor's which results in disabling of G-Sync. I read other people use a frame limiter to cap their FPS. I also read that if using a framerate limiter, you should cap your FPS at 140 to ensure input lag remains low.

What is the best way to ensure that my Hz range is always within G-Sync range? I'm just a little confused because I've seen conflicting answers across the net.

Thank you.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

You don't risk getting tearing, you ARE getting tearing. Though on frequencies so high, you will not notice it, so don't worry. But if you do, congrats, you are inhuman :D

22 minutes ago, KickinGravy said:

Yes, you want to cap your FPS slightly below your maximum refresh rate so 140FPS cap is about right.

Use RivaTuner for that but you are always best of using in game limiter if available.

Just now, WereCat said:

Was unaware that it caused input lag, I have been using for certain games and haven't noticed it  

1 minute ago, KickinGravy said:

Was unaware that it caused input lag, I have been using for certain games and haven't noticed it  

22 minutes ago, WereCat said:

A nice informative video, thanks for sharing. So from what I gathered, there is a slight input lag with Nvidia Inspector but nothing too bad. 

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

Thank you very much!! I'll just cap the FPS using RivaTuner or in-game. Appreciate it! ?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM