Facebook has now partnered with fact-checkers to stop the fake news pandemic

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The problem here is that all of the sources Facebook is hiring sit on the liberal end of the political spectrum. Shit, ABC News is guilty of sucking DNC dick.

That's not a problem for Facebook, they can't control what people put up. They should make an effort to label all this content very clearly regardless of the source. As should other social sites. 

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Just now, SirRoderick said:

That's not a problem for Facebook, they can't control what people put up. They should make an effort to label all this content very clearly regardless of the source. As should other social sites. 

But Facebook is hiring said sources to control what news gets put onto the site. I doubt Facebook will put any effort into it, in all reality.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Fake news: news reporting masquerading as objective that will often include partisan falsehoods or omissions to present their party in a better light:

See:

Breitbart, info wars, CNN, BBC. 

I agreed with your examples until you got to BBC. After NPR (arguably the most trustworthy news source we have in the US), BBC (global) is one of the more reputable sources of news out there. It's not perfect sure, none are, but it's generally less misinformed/biased, and more factual than most other major news networks.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

16 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I agreed with your examples until you got to BBC. After NPR (arguably the most trustworthy news source we have in the US), BBC (global) is one of the more reputable sources of news out there. It's not perfect sure, none are, but it's generally less misinformed/biased, and more factual than most other major news networks.

As a news outlet they might still have credibility behind their stories, but they're not immune to ideologues seeing how they are firing presenters for entirely racist reasons (Literally cause they're white males)

-------

Current Rig

-------

23 minutes ago, SirRoderick said:

What about letting the user decide what to believe instead of telling them what they should believe?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

What about letting the user decide what to believe instead of telling them what they should believe?

They are totally free to beleive what they want. But VERIFIABLY false news should be labelled as such.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

People are generally not neutral and they'll hold positions to ridiculous extremes just because they can't see beyond their partisanship (Remember your "OMG RUSSIA!" thread yesterday?)

A consensus is usually needed but more than that, one has to accept that all news are biased i.e. Nothing should be taken as face value and criticism should be looked at: Even Alex Jones can ocassionally stumble upon something valid when he is not concerned in Amphibian Sexuality Control issues of course.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, SirRoderick said:

They are totally free to beleive what they want. But VERIFIABLY false news should be labelled as such.

Damn, that quickly went full circle right back to who should be in charge of verifying.

I still think there should just be no interference, I see it causing more problems than people believing in articles without proof.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

How can people make decisions with any confidence when they aren't given the facts though? Unfortunately, the psychology of most people is to take headlines as fact and never read a single sentence of an article, we are attracted to sensationalist media regardless of validity. There's nothing wrong with a little footnote stating the information in a headline does not accurately represent reality. People can choose to ignore the footnote if they want but do you really want what is essentially false propaganda to dictate people's decisions? History has shown that a society riddled with misinformation quickly goes down very dangerous roads.

The sad reality of our modern society is that most people get their "news" from social media. What is wrong with giving people the information they need to be properly informed?

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

People are generally not neutral and they'll hold positions to ridiculous extremes just because they can't see beyond their partisanship (Remember your "OMG RUSSIA!" thread yesterday?)

A consensus is usually needed but more than that, one has to accept that all news are biased i.e. Nothing should be taken as face value and criticism should be looked at: Even Alex Jones can ocassionally stumble upon something valid when he is not concerned in Amphibian Sexuality Control issues of course.

I feel like the thread from yesterday is evidence why there should be no interference.  My whole point of posting was my distaste with the sources for not providing evidence and that's exactly the kind of article that facebook will verify as truth as it's coming from NBC and CBS.

I love the work that factcheck.org and similar websites do. I think that having these kind of websites, and especially having several of them, is a necessity in our low-cost broadcasting present.

However, I think the optimal version is the one we already have: whatever you say, it can be checked up by these sites, and the result made available to everyone, building a good or bad reputation for you in the process. I mean, we are still left with the problem of people nto caring about being blatantly lied to, but what can you do. So it is as good as it gets. Going a step forward and policing content before making available brings such organizations to places they shouldn't be at. If I was running a fact-checking website, I'd prefer to stay as an ex-post referee, I wouldn't be very comfortable as an ex-ante judge.

1 hour ago, pyrojoe34 said:

How can people make decisions with any confidence when they aren't given the facts though? Unfortunately, the psychology of most people is to take headlines as fact and never read a single sentence of an article, we are attracted to sensationalist media regardless of validity. There's nothing wrong with a little footnote stating the information in a headline does not accurately represent reality. People can choose to ignore the footnote if they want but do you really want what is essentially false propaganda to dictate people's decisions? History has shown that a society riddled with misinformation quickly goes down very dangerous roads.

The sad reality of our modern society is that most people get their "news" from social media. What is wrong with giving people the information they need to be properly informed?

There's definitely nothing wrong with a little footnote that represents reality or keeping people properly informed, but there is something wrong with a little footnote that represents someones opinion or agenda disguised as reality.

Cool, i wonder if they'd censor fake news that women get paid 75% of what men get paid & false rape allegations news *grabs extra salty popcorn*

Details separate people.

On 12/16/2016 at 4:27 AM, Jorgen297 said:

I doubt leftist media like CNN will be checked despite having heaps of fake news also.

Time Warner owns CNN.  At best, they are center-left.  You will never hear them talk about income inequality, net neutrality, or criticize free-trade agreements like TPP, which also pose a threat to a free and open Internet.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I despise almost anything after the word "should".  Especially true when "must" or "shall" tends to be the end result or the unintended consequence. 

Leave my fake news alone, and how dare you label the story on bigfoot hunting unicorns in his UFO in the first place. 

Also raises the question on labeling items of faith as fake news.  Starts getting into freedom of religious expression.  

Are you going to label everything, and could it be considered libel to label?

of course leftist bullshit wont be fact checked and anything that isnt anti white cultural marxist bullshit will be marked as right wing nazi conspiracy theories.