3D Printed Computer Case for School: Part II

CobbleWalker

Hey guys,

Around two weeks ago I made a post about a project I took on to build a more powerful computer for the students of my school. After over 30 replies, this is the list we came up with. Just to recap we're 3D printing the case (any advise on that?) to save money and can't push the budget any farther then it already has been. So, with that in mind, how'd I do on the parts list? 

Thanks,

CobbleWalker 

ps: Any ideas for a project name?

Edit: Goals of this computer include basic 3D design, game development, video rendering (basic), and overclocking.

3D printing a case to save money? Has he material costs changed since I've last done it? To 3D print a phone case cost me 15$ in materials 2 years ago. You are better off buying a used one. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

3D printing a case to save money? Has he material costs changed since I've last done it? To 3D print a phone case cost me 15$ in materials 2 years ago. You are better off buying a used one. 

3D printing the case was more of a self inflicted challenge. The School has a 3D printer that they are willing to let us use and we do not have to pay for filament. 

Just now, CobbleWalker said:

3D printing the case was more of a self inflicted challenge. The School has a 3D printer that they are willing to let us use and we do not have to pay for filament. 

Ok. You will have to print the case in multiple parts and figure out how you will attach the various parts

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, bgibbz said:

Ok. You will have to print the case in multiple parts and figure out how you will attach the various parts

Sorry for neglecting to include this in the description of the post (will change shortly) but the case we're going for is of more of a test bed nature rather then a complete case.  

1 minute ago, Cela1 said:

Does the G3258 not have a stock cooler?

It does but one of the things we wanted this computer to do was overclock (for teaching purposes). My bad for again neglecting to mention this in the original post.

1 hour ago, Cela1 said:

Does the G3258 not have a stock cooler?

yes does all intel CPU have stock coolers except if you are go with OEM version  

2 minutes ago, Trevor87 said:

yes does all intel CPU have stock coolers except if you have go with OEM version  

6700k? 6600k? Etc...

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

6700k? 6600k? Etc...

Starting with the Skylake architecture all k based CPUs are bought with the assumption that you will buy your own cooler. 

3 minutes ago, CobbleWalker said:

Starting with the Skylake architecture all k based CPUs are bought with the assumption that you will buy your own cooler. 

I know that, I was pointing that out to the guy above ;)

Just now, bgibbz said:

I know that, I was pointing that out to the guy above ;)

Ah, my bad. 

5 minutes ago, Trevor87 said:

Yep 6700k and 6600K come with a stand cooler

No not at all

So true it hurts

Just now, Trevor87 said:

Yes all intel CPU come with a stock cooler. except OME Intel CPU.

You are wrong. Check yourself before you wreck yourself bro. 

Retail processors generally come with a heatsink/fan. Yes. They also sometimes come with a pre-applied thermal pad, in which case you wouldn't necessarily have to apply thermal grease (though it's generally better to use good thermal paste instead of a thermal pad.) Depends which CPU.

Form Goggle I am right 

I have not wrecked my self. There is only two ways you can go when buying a CPU Retail or OME. 

13 hours ago, CobbleWalker said:

I Don't where you got that info form but Retail Skylake K CPU still come with there cooler

19 hours ago, Trevor87 said:

I Don't where you got that info form but Retail Skylake K CPU still come with there cooler

On 12/14/2016 at 2:00 PM, Trevor87 said:

I have not wrecked my self. There is only two ways you can go when buying a CPU Retail or OME. 

On 12/14/2016 at 1:43 PM, Trevor87 said:

Retail processors generally come with a heatsink/fan. Yes. They also sometimes come with a pre-applied thermal pad, in which case you wouldn't necessarily have to apply thermal grease (though it's generally better to use good thermal paste instead of a thermal pad.) Depends which CPU.

Form Goggle I am right 

193f7421e68341ac892e20d31f6db71b.png 

193f7421e68341ac892e20d31f6db71b (2).png

193f7421e68341ac892e20d31f6db71b (3).png

From Newegg, I am right. 

On 12/16/2016 at 5:09 AM, CobbleWalker said:

193f7421e68341ac892e20d31f6db71b.png 

193f7421e68341ac892e20d31f6db71b (2).png

193f7421e68341ac892e20d31f6db71b (3).png

From Newegg, I am right. 

Yea you right.It confusing because tom hardware says yes does come with a cooler and all of sudden no it does. Yea Intel saving money I think it silly move buy them taking out the cooler.    

I guess I could understand their move to do so. If your buying a overclocking chip you should have a better cooler then the stock. But at the same time, it's often a hinderence when you just want to boot up your machine.