i5 6500 or i7 6700 for gaming?

Would a i5 6500 be enough for modern AA title gaming for the next couple of years, along with occasional video editing and 3D modelling. I don't really mind render times in these cases, but crashes and lock-ups would annoy me a lot. It's either I get a GTX 1070 and a i5 6500 or an i7 6700 with a RX 480 8GB. 

Which would be a better option to get, sadly the i7 6700 + GTX 1070 is out of my budget. 

How occasional will the editing and rendering be? The i5 is plenty for gaming for the next couple of years, but if you're going to be doing enough editing and modelling that long render times would drive you nuts, the i7 is the way to go.

Maybe buy the i7 and run with the GPU you have (or the iGPU) for a couple of months while you make the 1070 a thing?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

What resolution you plan to game. RX 480 8GB will be more than enough for 1080p games with AAAAAA titles

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

What resolution you plan to game. RX 480 8GB will be more than enough for 1080p games with AAAAAA titles

Is a AAAAAA title what happens when a PR guy falls asleep on his keyboard while writing the press release?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Is a AAAAAA title what happens when a PR guy falls asleep on his keyboard while writing the press release?

There are 6 A in there meaning he will be fine for games that run twice the power of current AAA. Hope that is clear enough

But on a serious note. I got lazy.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

How occasional will the editing and rendering be? The i5 is plenty for gaming for the next couple of years, but if you're going to be doing enough editing and modelling that long render times would drive you nuts, the i7 is the way to go.

Maybe buy the i7 and run with the GPU you have (or the iGPU) for a couple of months while you make the 1070 a thing?

I'm starting a Tafe, unsure what it's called in America. I'm most likely going to do 3D modelling, I'm very patient for stuff to render and can wait. I just hate lock-ups and crashes, which I'm unsure that the i5 will do or not. 

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I'd most likely run either 1440p VSR / DSR or 1080p. I know emulated resolutions don't look near as good as the real thing, but still :P. But I want to GPU to last at least 2 years running games on high or ultra settings at 1080p. 

If gaming is the main focus, and you don't mind longer renders, why not the 6600K? better gaming performance than either locked chip (with VERY limited exception, no need to start flame wars). Granted it'll be hard to bottleneck a even 1070 anyways, but this will reach that point later.

As for modelling it depends what programs you use, and how much they rely on multithreaded CPU workloads. I can't give you a recommendation with that in mind since I have no idea what the load will be like on your system.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Just now, Wolfenite said:

I'd most likely run either 1440p VSR, DSR or 1080p. I know emulated resolutions don't look near as good as the real thing, but still :P. But I want to GPU to last at least 2 years running games on high or ultra settings at 1080p. 

For 1080 then get GTX 1060 or RX 480. At some instances the 1070 will be bottlenecked by i5 6500

3 minutes ago, Wolfenite said:

I'm starting a Tafe, unsure what it's called in America. I'm most likely going to do 3D modelling, I'm very patient for stuff to render and can wait. I just hate lock-ups and crashes, which I'm unsure that the i5 will do or not. 

Get i7 and 480. You will be good to go. Most games on 480 pull 60fps with max settings at 1080p. So in next few years all you have to do is lower the settings for more demanding games.

To be perfectly blunt about the reality of the situation, I could render video on a dual-core Pentium, and I have. Six hours later, I wanted to shoot myself because it was still at 12%, but you can edit and render on just about anything modern. Hell, I do some very, very occasional Photoshop on my Q6600.

All that said, when it comes to the question of rendering, once you go i7, you don't go back.

Just now, tarfeef101 said:

If gaming is the main focus, and you don't mind longer renders, why not the 6600K? better gaming performance than either locked chip (with VERY limited exception, no need to start flame wars). Granted it'll be hard to bottleneck a even 1070 anyways, but this will reach that point later.

Yes, but that comes with the K-SKU premium and a Z170 board. You're potentially looking at a $100 price difference just for the privilege of squeezing a few more MHz out of a chip that's identical in every other way (except base clock speed and TDP). I actually don't think the Skylake i5 platform is worth overclocking on, because the 6500 performs oh-so-damn-well.

13 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

As for modelling it depends what programs you use, and how much they rely on multithreaded CPU workloads. I can't give you a recommendation with that in mind since I have no idea what the load will be like on your system.

The build I've planned out has a Z170 motherboard, but upgrading to a i5 6600k is an extra $60 not to mention I have to pay for a custom cooler as it comes with none which will add another, $50 at least. In that case, I'm just betting adding another $40 for the i7 instead and using the stock cooler.

3 minutes ago, Wolfenite said:

The build I've planned out has a Z170 motherboard, but upgrading to a i5 6600k is an extra $60 not to mention I have to pay for a custom cooler as it comes with none which will add another, $50 at least. In that case, I'm just betting adding another $40 for the i7 instead and using the stock cooler.

Is the Z170 here for future proofing? Because you can get a cheaper mobo for non K i5/i7

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Is the Z170 here for future proofing? Because you can get a cheaper mobo for non K i5/i7

It's not really for future proofing, one reason is because it's only $50 more then a lower end h170 motherboard. Also because I'm trying to go with a white and black build, which at the shops close to me there's no low end boards with that colour scheme.

4 minutes ago, Wolfenite said:

It's not really for future proofing, one reason is because it's only $50 more then a lower end h170 motherboard. Also because I'm trying to go with a white and black build, which at the shops close to me there's no low end boards with that colour scheme.

Finally somebody who understands me.

My life

Buy the best CPU you can afford.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Buy the best CPU you can afford.

And then get a GTX 1050

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

And then get a GTX 1050

If the choice is between a 6700 and 1060 or a 6500 and 1070, go 6600K and 1060.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

If the choice is between a 6700 and 1060 or a 6500 and 1070, go 6600K and 1060.

I mean 6700k and 1050 is not a bad choice too /s (maybe not)

Video editing and modelling would be better with more threads. Have you watched New Horizon?

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I mean 6700k and 1050 is not a bad choice too /s (maybe not)

Video editing and modelling would be better with more threads. Have you watched New Horizon?

A 1050 would be quite bad for running games at 1080p ultra settings though, the RX 480 is like bare minimal as some games can't run 60 FPS on ultra on that card.

1 minute ago, Wolfenite said:

snip

What program will you be modelling with?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Wolfenite said:

A 1050 would be quite bad for running games at 1080p ultra settings though, the RX 480 is like bare minimal as some games can't run 60 FPS on ultra on that card.

yeah no. definately not a 1050. I would go i7 and 480 route

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

What program will you be modelling with?

Nah, I'll be modelling in Microsoft Paint. :), Nah it'll most likely be Blender or Maya.

Nah, I'll be modelling in Microsoft Paint. :), it'll most likely be Blender or Maya.

Blender will benefit from having more threads but Maya is clock dependent. If you're going to use these programs often, go with the i7. If not, get the i5.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Wolfenite said:

Nah, I'll be modelling in Microsoft Paint.

A purist, I see. Who needs fancy filters when you can just spray paint everything, right?

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

A purist, I see. Who needs fancy filters when you can just spray paint everything, right?

Yeah, who needs PhotoShop when you have mPaint.