Minecraft XB1 and Windows 10 Edition cross platform

d3sl91

Hey All,

So, I used to be a hardcore MC player several years ago, but stopped shortly after Microsoft bought it and released the Windows 10 Edition (beta). So please excuse what may be considered common knowledge. Add in the fact I have always been a PC gamer and only recently purchased an Xbox One.

A couple questions I need answered/clarified:

1. My Nephew and I each have an Xbox One. In order to play together, do we both need to have Live Gold?

3. Can the Windows 10 Edition Beta play with Xbox one edition players directly, or via realms? Or was that not part of the Friendly Update.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

2 minutes ago, d3sl91 said:

Hey All,

So, I used to be a hardcore MC player several years ago, but stopped shortly after Microsoft bought it and released the Windows 10 Edition (beta). So please excuse what may be considered common knowledge. Add in the fact I have always been a PC gamer and only recently purchased an Xbox One.

A couple questions I need answered/clarified:

1. My Nephew and I each have an Xbox One. In order to play together, do we both need to have Live Gold?

3. Can the Windows 10 Edition Beta play with Xbox one edition players directly, or via realms? Or was that not part of the Friendly Update.

I think the windows 10 beta can only play with Pe don't quote me on this though I havent played MC in 2 years

My life

1. Yes

2. (??!?!??! y nu 2)

3.I think so, but why don't you just try it? (unless, ya know, you haven't bought it yet)

i'm not sure which dev tree the W10 version is based on, i actually havent cared enough to check.

in essence, there's 3 dev trees (well.. 4 if you count the pi, which is pretty much dead.)

- the original (PC) java version, which is the true master race of minecraft versions :P

- the console version, that's controller optimized.

- pocket edition, for the phones, with touch etc.

(- the version for the pi that's basicly dead)

i'm not sure where the W10 version branched off, it would make sense that it's branched off from console because of xbox live BS, but it would also make sense to be branched off from pocket edition, because of touch optimized W10 devices.

22 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

1. Yes

2. (??!?!??! y nu 2)

3.I think so, but why don't you just try it? (unless, ya know, you haven't bought it yet)

Hah. Because I like to watch the world burn.... And yeah, we will try it, but yeah, don't have it yet, and his dad is also still in the deciding stages of "are you old enough for an xbox, should you just have the windows 10 version, etc etc). 

16 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'm not sure which dev tree the W10 version is based on, i actually havent cared enough to check.

in essence, there's 3 dev trees (well.. 4 if you count the pi, which is pretty much dead.)

- the original (PC) java version, which is the true master race of minecraft versions :P

- the console version, that's controller optimized.

- pocket edition, for the phones, with touch etc.

(- the version for the pi that's basicly dead)

i'm not sure where the W10 version branched off, it would make sense that it's branched off from console because of xbox live BS, but it would also make sense to be branched off from pocket edition, because of touch optimized W10 devices.

Not sure, but, Windows 10 Edition and Mobile versions are compatible. If you have a Win10 computer connected to the same network as mobile, you can play together (both locally, and also via their overpriced "servers" - realms). 

I think I finally figured it out on my own, and that no the xbox version is not (yet) cross platform with Win10/PE - but that its in the works for 2017.

What I cannot wait to see, is if you will need Xbox Live Gold to play on xbox along with your Windows 10 and Pocket friends. Especially if you have a realm you are playing for. (Who am I kidding, of course you will have to pay for Gold and also for a realm).

All I know is I hope Java is still developed for years to come so when he is old enough to play on that I can dust off the old server and get that going again. 

6 minutes ago, d3sl91 said:

Hah. Because I like to watch the world burn.... And yeah, we will try it, but yeah, don't have it yet, and his dad is also still in the deciding stages of "are you old enough for an xbox, should you just have the windows 10 version, etc etc). 

Lol, how old is he?!?! I mean it's MC! Just don't get trolled by him and buy him GTA 5 lol, I mean my parents bought me my 360 for Christmas when I was like 7-8ish

1 minute ago, d3sl91 said:

All I know is I hope Java is still developed for years to come so when he is old enough to play on that I can dust off the old server and get that going again. 

dont worry, the java version isnt nearly on its way out yet, and once mojang retires it, the modding community will most likely take over :P

10 minutes ago, d3sl91 said:

Not sure, but, Windows 10 Edition and Mobile versions are compatible. If you have a Win10 computer connected to the same network as mobile, you can play together (both locally, and also via their overpriced "servers" - realms). 

I think I finally figured it out on my own, and that no the xbox version is not (yet) cross platform with Win10/PE - but that its in the works for 2017.

What I cannot wait to see, is if you will need Xbox Live Gold to play on xbox along with your Windows 10 and Pocket friends. Especially if you have a realm you are playing for. (Who am I kidding, of course you will have to pay for Gold and also for a realm).

And I need to stop being distracted from cram sess studying for my exams, I mean it took me a while of negotiating but my dad said if I get 100 on my exams I'll get 100 bucks (literally don't know how I got that much money out of him) but for every point I get below 100 I get 5 bucks taken off. (Ex: 96 on one exam, 80 total dollars)

2 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Lol, how old is he?!?! I mean it's MC! Just don't get trolled by him and buy him GTA 5 lol, I mean my parents bought me my 360 for Christmas when I was like 7-8ish

He's recently turned 9. In this case it's more of a "is he responsible and can he share with his family the xbox on the family TV" type deal. His dad used to be super into games and whatnot as well, but, he wants to know what he is getting the family into since he has been out of the console world since the original xbox. 

8 minutes ago, d3sl91 said:

He's recently turned 9. In this case it's more of a "is he responsible and can he share with his family the xbox on the family TV" type deal. His dad used to be super into games and whatnot as well, but, he wants to know what he is getting the family into since he has been out of the console world since the original xbox. 

Ahhh ok