2.7Ghz or 2.9GHz Intel Core i5?

Go to solution Solved by Mark77,

In a laptop, no.  The limiting factor in laptops is usually the cooling system, not the CPU.  I doubt if you put each laptop side by side, that you'd be able to tell the difference.  Save your $200 and put towards your next laptop (unfortunately no CPU upgrades these days on laptops due to them soldering the CPU's in!).

Getting a Macbook Pro 13inch (2015), but not sure if the upgrade to 2.9GHz (from 2.7GHz) would make a big leap in performance. It adds 200 dolars so, is it worth it?

I'll be using it for video and photo editing.

Thank you in advance!

In a laptop, no.  The limiting factor in laptops is usually the cooling system, not the CPU.  I doubt if you put each laptop side by side, that you'd be able to tell the difference.  Save your $200 and put towards your next laptop (unfortunately no CPU upgrades these days on laptops due to them soldering the CPU's in!).

2 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Thank you! gona use that money for better purposes then (:  

14 minutes ago, franco_tamashiro said:

Getting a Macbook Pro 13inch (2015), but not sure if the upgrade to 2.9GHz (from 2.7GHz) would make a big leap in performance. It adds 200 dolars so, is it worth it?

Thank you in advance!

What are your uses?

Hello

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

What are your uses?

Video and photo editing in FCPX and lightroom, maybe some after effects and I would like to try some music production as well haha

1 minute ago, franco_tamashiro said:

Video and photo editing in FCPX and lightroom, maybe some after effects and I would like to try some music production as well haha

Then if you have the money then spend the little extra. FCP is very optimised for each CPU and MacOS so you will get some performance gain

Hello

1 minute ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Then if you have the money then spend the little extra. FCP is very optimised for each CPU and MacOS so you will get some performance gain

It would make a big difference? because it would add 200 dolars to the price. If its minimal I would preffer keep it like that

1 minute ago, franco_tamashiro said:

It would make a big difference? because it would add 200 dolars to the price. If its minimal I would preffer keep it like that

I haven't managed to test yet but I know with the top i5 and the low i7 on the previous gen there was a big difference in FCP. Apple normally add more ram for that extra $200.

There won't be a huge difference but there will be some

Hello

35 minutes ago, franco_tamashiro said:

Thank you in advance!

if that's the only difference, I'd definitely say no. $200 obviously isn't a little. However if there is a difference in ram or storage as well, then it is probably worth it.