Gsync questions

MrAlbertrocks

I've seen a lot of people saying that Gsync is useless when using a 144hz monitor paired with a good GPU. I want someone to explain me WHY. AFAIK, you can use Gsync to cap the FPS to your liking. Let's say i'm hovering between 100 and 120 FPS on BF1. I can cap it to 90 or a 100 with gsync and play without input lag or screen tearing. If i don't cap the FPS, gsync still avoids screen tearing, and that way you don't need to deal with the input lag of Vsync. 

Without Gsync, wouldn't you get screen tearing every time your FPS surpass or dips below 144fps? (If not using Vsync). 

G-sync works when your framerate is below the refresh rate of your monitor. there is also the range in which g-sync will function, like 30hz-142hz. anything below or above that range and g-sync will be disabled. so on the contrary to your belief when you say that g-sync is useless on a 144hz monitor, as g-sync will work with the range i have mentioned most of the time. But i would look into the g-sync monitor you're interested in and see if it'll operate to your liking. 

it is imperative that your framerate does not surpass or drop below the recommended g-sync range, as the feature will turn off automatically and tearing will be allowed, just like v-sync off. 

7 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

I've seen a lot of people saying that Gsync is useless when using a 144hz monitor paired with a good GPU. I want someone to explain me WHY. AFAIK, you can use Gsync to cap the FPS to your liking. Let's say i'm hovering between 100 and 120 FPS on BF1. I can cap it to 90 or a 100 with gsync and play without input lag or screen tearing. If i don't cap the FPS, gsync still avoids screen tearing, and that way you don't need to deal with the input lag of Vsync. 

Without Gsync, wouldn't you get screen tearing every time your FPS surpass or dips below 144fps? (If not using Vsync). 

I do believe you are correct, granted I have never encountered this problem personally. But in theory having the capability to match refresh rate to fps would eliminate the risk of tearing and ghosting

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

G-sync works when your framerate is below the refresh rate of your monitor. there is also the range in which g-sync will function, like 30hz-142hz. anything below or above that range and g-sync will be disabled. so on the contrary to your belief when you say that g-sync is useless on a 144hz monitor, as g-sync will work with the range i have mentioned most of the time. But i would look into the g-sync monitor you're interested in and see if it'll operate to your liking. 

it is imperative that your framerate does not surpass or drop below the recommended g-sync range, as the feature will turn off automatically and tearing will be allowed, just like v-sync off. 

I think the OP is saying he DOES think it is important on 144Hz monitors, but has seen other people saying things on the contrary

Just now, kmathieu2220 said:

I think the OP is saying he DOES think it is important on 144Hz monitors, but has seen other people saying things on the contrary

ah you are right, my apologies. my post is more of a clarification then :)

You cant set a cap for gsync, gsync is just the term used to name nvidias VARIABLE SYNC tech. Which means that that the refresh rate is varied to max the FPS of the GPU to a max of 144hz in this case

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

12 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

Maybe because they think if you can hit 144FPS comfortably, why bother with something that adjusts the frame rate to the refresh rate.

But a GTX 1080 by itself struggles in modern AAA games to even get past 80 FPS at 1440p on maximum quality.

So i can't set a cap with gsync, that sucks. What if i don't want my fps flying all over the place? 

I'm waiting for the Acer xb271hu, apparently there's no stock right now.

2 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

So i can't set a cap with gsync, that sucks. What if i don't want my fps flying all over the place? 

Well your FPS would be all over, possibly, but wouldnt the monitor match it thus making it barely noticeable? Isn't the issue with FPS being all over the place that the monitor doesnt adjust and that is what really causes the issues?

1 minute ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

You can mess with one of the VSync options in the control panel or use something like EVGA's Precision X which has a "target frame rate" which is a frame rate limiter.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You can mess with one of the VSync options in the control panel or use something like EVGA's Precision X which has a "target frame rate" which is a frame rate limiter.

So capping the framerate would in theory change the range of Gsync. If normally it's 30hz-144hz, if i cap it to 100, it would be 30hz-100hz, right?

1 minute ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

So capping the framerate would in theory change the range of Gsync. If normally it's 30hz-144hz, if i cap it to 100, it would be 30hz-100hz, right?

There's no explicit option to cap the frame rate in NVIDIA's control panel. The only ones that will are the options in the Vsync settings.

If anything just set a custom resolution to whatever you want with a 100Hz refresh rate.

1 hour ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

By capping gsync all you are going to do is exhibit the stutter associated with v-sync when you hit over 60fps, theres no need t oworry about it with gsync. Just enable gsync and experience smooth gameplay. If you start making frame caps it underminds the point of variable refresh

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P