Networking Degree VS CS Degree

I have this plan for starting my own business and I would appreciate any thoughts or feedback on it (especially those who already work in IT or are majoring in CS). I'm planning on getting a masters degree in accounting and then becoming CPA certified. I then hope to get a few accounting jobs to get some experience so I can get a better idea on how to run a business. From that point, I was thinking about going back to school and getting a associates degree in computer networking. From there, I'd like to gradually start my own business fixing computers and networks and serving as a consultant for local businesses around my area. However, this is where I grow concerned: is an associates degree in computer networking worth anything? Will it give me enough knowledge to then begin designing or fixing corporate networks? Should I get a B.S in computer networking or do you guys believe Computer Science would be a wiser choice? I was in CS briefly but I didn't like it because I never came to love programming (I like it only as a hobby). Thanks for the help! :)

If you plan on starting your own business, then a computer degree is pretty worthless to you if you already have an in depth knowledge in the areas you plan to be working in.  What would probably be more worth it is going for certifications.  Getting things like the MCSE, CCNA and CCNP, etc. will show your customers more about what you know than a BS or other degree could.  Why?  The average consumer could care less what school you graduated from but if Microsoft or Cisco says that you know what you're doing, then they're more likely to trust that. 

EDIT: FYI, my job is a network administrator/systems administrator so I know what companies care about.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

As someone with both.  If those are your plans, I'd honestly say don't bother and go for something else more business related.  The stuff you will learn won't be very helpful for fixing computer networks and the like.  You'd be much better off doing an internship or small gig and ramping up on what you are looking to do.  IMO, degrees are only good for getting the interview to a job. Experience is worth much more when it comes down to the actual work.

Certifications will be helpful once you start working on peoples things and even getting that internship/entry level gig.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Thanks for the responses guys. I figured in the IT world that experience is king since degrees in our field get outdated so fast.

FYI, my job is a network administrator/systems administrator so I know what companies care about.

What technologies do you recommend I become familiar with since I'm just getting started in the field?

Thanks for the responses guys. I figured in the IT world that experience is king since degrees in our field get outdated so fast.

What technologies do you recommend I become familiar with since I'm just getting started in the field?

It depends on what you plan on going into.  If you'll be a network admin, then definitely you need to learn Cisco IOS and possibly NX-OS if you plan on working on datacenter equipement.  There are other companies stuff out there such as Juniper Networks with JunOS (and I'm seeing more companies lean in this direction) so probably good to learn stuff there too.  If you'll be doing sysadmin stuff, then jyou need to know Linux/Unix like the back of your hand because any correctly configured *nix server lacks a GUI interface. 

As far as general computer work goes, just make sure you know your hardware well.  There's a lot of stuff to learn and only so much time to learn it.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB

Thanks for the info. I think I'd like to start learning hardware like getting a MSCE and then progressing into system admin work.

Thanks for the info. I think I'd like to start learning hardware like getting a MSCE and then progressing into system admin work.

Hardware and an MCSE are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.  MCSE = Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.  Basically means that you know how to set up Microsoft servers and Exchange and Lync and AD and stuff.  The only hardware certification I know of is A+, which frankly, is a complete joke of a cert for anyone that already has any decent level of experience with hardware. 

If you plan on getting into sysadmin work, here's my advice.  Going straight into a sysadmin job is near impossible.  Most companies want at least 2 years experience in the industry before they'll consider you.  There are exceptions to this rule but they are few and far between.  You'll likely have to start your way from being a technician.  A basic prerequisite for all things IT is logical thinking.  You need to be able to work through a problem step by step and if something doesn't work you need to be able to think on your feet because there won't always be a manual or Google to help you figure out a problem.  As for sysadmin jobs, you'll be looking at getting hired by a company unless you want to start your own datacenter (in which case, you'll need a whole lot more than experience). 

Current Rig

Hardware and an MCSE are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.  MCSE = Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.  Basically means that you know how to set up Microsoft servers and Exchange and Lync and AD and stuff.  The only hardware certification I know of is A+, which frankly, is a complete joke of a cert for anyone that already has any decent level of experience with hardware. 

If you plan on getting into sysadmin work, here's my advice.  Going straight into a sysadmin job is near impossible.  Most companies want at least 2 years experience in the industry before they'll consider you.  There are exceptions to this rule but they are few and far between.  You'll likely have to start your way from being a technician.  A basic prerequisite for all things IT is logical thinking.  You need to be able to work through a problem step by step and if something doesn't work you need to be able to think on your feet because there won't always be a manual or Google to help you figure out a problem.  As for sysadmin jobs, you'll be looking at getting hired by a company unless you want to start your own datacenter (in which case, you'll need a whole lot more than experience). 

How did you do it yourself? What were you doing when you first started out with no experience? Did you have a degree at the time? From the sounds of things, networking might be more up my alley then in terms of going off on my own...

How did you do it yourself? What were you doing when you first started out with no experience? Did you have a degree at the time? From the sounds of things, networking might be more up my alley then in terms of going off on my own...

Start out by looking for an entry level technician job for a company and get some experience under your belt.  They will likely put you through a basic technical interview during the hiring process so you'll have to pass that before you're considered.  While that's happening, try and get some networking certifications from companies like Cisco and Juniper.  Personally, I feel the lower end ones are kinda pointless but they'll be good things for a resume.  After a few years in the field, if you're sure that's what you want to be doing, then start looking for a network administrator job.  Start at smaller companies or even a local school.  Schools tend to be more willing to hire a netadmin with less experience than major companies.  From there, just keep learning.  IT is a field of never ending change.  Don't expect to stop learning at any point.  A Netadmin job is what essentially amounts to either a Tier 2 or Tier 3 position.

I did go to school for IT but that's a non issue because much of what I learned as a student I had to toss out the window when I graduated and I work with with a guy who went to school to be a pilot so what you're degree was in doesn't really matter.  What does matter is that you not only say you know what you're doing but that you can demonstrate it.  

Current Rig

Thanks for the awesome tips man. I really appreciate it. And yeah, that's so true. One of my coworkers has a bachelors in Philosophy and now she's earning a PH.D in Instructional Design. Just goes to show you that your degree doesn't matter.