Raid 0 SSDs worth it?

Hay guys.

I was wondering if putting 2 samsung 850 EVO 250GB in a raid 0 would be worth it or not? I'm planning on using the 2 SSDs in raid to install windows and other software such as photoshop,  after effects etc. As for my games I have 2 WD black drives in a raid 0 wich I'm sure is sufficient.

The reason why I want to use the SATA raid is because of my cpu.... I'm running the i7 5820k. The cpu only has 28 pcie lanes wich I don't think will be enough for a gpu a capture card and a m.2 storage solution. Any advice is welcome

Thanks in advance

GPUs are fine even on PCIe 8x. and a m.2 PCIe 4x SSD is only going to use 4 lanes, so that's 12 out of the 28, leaving another 16x. If your GPU runs fine on 8x, how much does your capture card REALLY NEED?

If you don't care about your data, a SSD RAID 0 is lightning fast, but you lose one uncorrectable bit, and the array is done and you lose everything.

Worth it? i guess that's a question only you can answer.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

8 minutes ago, smokeyvandenberg said:

So what do u think is faster 2 SATA SSDs in raid 0 or 1 m.2 ssd?

i put 2 SATA SSD in raid0 and I found no usable benefit. I do not use RAID for OS because there is a bit of extra time taken in booting to build the RAID array. For the price of 2 SSD you oculd prob go with a PCIe SSD

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

10 minutes ago, smokeyvandenberg said:

So what do u think is faster 2 SATA SSDs in raid 0 or 1 m.2 ssd?

2 SATA SSDs = ~1GB/s (525MB ea)

1 NVMe = 1.5GB/s and usually much higher IO/s

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I gave up on RAID 0, because it is too easily for the parity to get corrupted.

If you do go RAID 0, be sure to use a UPS, and hope your PC never locks up.