Microphone not recognised by Windows

Gibs960

Hi guys, I'm asking for my sister really because I'm expected to fix all known computer related problems even if they're nothing to do with anything I have knowledge of.

Basically she's bought a laptop to connect to the TV for use with karaoke but the microphone we're plugging into the combo jack, something similar to this, isn't recognised as a microphone by windows or the karaoke software.

My hypothesis would be that a splitter of some description would solve the problem. Any advice?

(Before anyone asks, the mic does work. We've tried it on another device.)

Does the 3.5mm jack work with headphones?

If so, a splitter should fix it

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Yes! You need an adapter like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ/

The combo jack has four contacts whereas the mic itself has two or three. So the mic short circuits the output channels into the mic channel and it won't work. Either there's no sound of there's horrible static. But an adapter will sort that out. Or a USB dongle for that matter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Headphone-Microphone-Aluminum-Compatibility/dp/B00NMXY2MO/

Oh. If you need to impress someone and feel like MacGyvering this for short term, you can wrap scotch tape around the jack where the output contacts would be. But know that you risk the tape coming off and getting stuck in the connector. The outputs are at the tip: trrs-diagram2.jpg