Why am I getting different temps with different software?

Godlygamer23

I understand some programs will differ in their results, but ASUS software is really different. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I was thinking that maybe with ASUS software, it was simply measuring the CPU socket temperatures. By the way, the high temps are coming from BOINC. I'm running projects at the time of this thread post. I couldn't upload the screenshot I got, so I'll just put the results in text.

Core Temp:

Core #0: 66.1 degrees C

Core #1: 72 degrees C

Core #2: 70 degrees C

Core #3: 66.1 degrees C

CPUID HW Monitor:

Core #0: 62.7 degrees C

Core #1: 66.6 degrees C

Core #2: 65.5 degrees C

Core #3: 60.5 degrees C

ASUS software:

CPU: 41 degrees C

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Can you please present your figures in Celsius, thanks.

To answer your question, they are different ways in measuring sensor information. You have the best method using the drivers or support communication method, which I believe is the best, but they are some times sensor information that isn't given to you as the supported communication method doesn't allow support more more sensor, or because hardware manufacture doesn't want to give it to you. Another method is to "hack" your way in to tap on the sensor info. This is great, but you really need to know how the sensor works, and that varies depending models of sensors. Plus you need to know any offset that you should consider... and that varies between program to program on how you implement and decide to measure this offset. Some uses a thermometer, others estimates, and other don't use anything at all. The problem with this method, beside the offset value, is that if you tap into an unsupported sensor, first you don't know that you are tapping on a unsupported sensor 'cause you have nothing to tell you it's specs or model.. its just a temperature sensor, the value interpreted can be all wrong, like what you are probably facing now.

Can you please present your figures in Celsius, thanks.

To answer your question, they are different ways in measuring sensor information. You have the best method using the drivers or support communication method, which I believe is the best, but they are some times sensor information that isn't given to you as the supported communication method doesn't allow support more more sensor, or because hardware manufacture doesn't want to give it to you. Another method is to "hack" your way in to tap on the sensor info. This is great, but you really need to know how the sensor works, and that varies depending models of sensors. Plus you need to know any offset that you should consider... and that varies between program to program on how you implement and decide to measure this offset. Some uses a thermometer, others estimates, and other don't use anything at all. The problem with this method, beside the offset value, is that if you tap into an unsupported sensor, first you don't know that you are tapping on a unsupported sensor 'cause you have nothing to tell you it's specs or model.. its just a temperature sensor, the value interpreted can be all wrong, like what you are probably facing now.

Changed temps to Celsius

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Assuming the temps are right, they look fine to me. But I would follow what your BIOS/UEFI is saying.