Good speakers

Chazz

Hey guys, currently I have the Sony MHC-EC99i and they are pretty good, until they broke and I had to take the unit apart to try solve the issue, then I found out it was the sub port that was shorting out the unit and now the sub don't work.

Anyway, I've been wanting and upgrade for a long time, something louder and with a LOT more bass, I'm talking shit flying round the room bass. Do you guys know of any good speakers I can buy (With the head unit) in the UK? The best ones I have found at the moment are these http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/audio/hifi-systems-and-speakers/lg-cm8460-wireless-megasound-hi-fi-system-black-10147156-pdt.html And even these don't look good enough. I want something big.

I'd like too note I am a total noob when it comes to audio and also I'd like UK links, thanks :)

There are a lot of factors to consider when deciding on higher end speakers. Many people will say that the bigger the cone, the better... but that's just not true.

I have a homestudio and so I have studio speakers (Yamaha HS8), and with some EQ correction on the tone on them they sound amazing with a flat response bass - and they're "only" 8-inch, yet because of the perfect engineering in them they reach down to 25 Hz (before the filter cuts of the signal, most of the times you don't need that low anyways unless you're buying a surround system for movie watching), and they barely even need to move as most of the bass is well amplified by the box and bassport, which means it responds very rapidly to the dynamic range of the bass.

My recommendation is to go to a good shop and actually listen to the speakers and determine the quality of them (keep in mind though that the room itself has a massive impact on the speaker sound).

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

I'm talking shit flying round the room bass.

Get/build a sub. Old subwoofers are cheap as all hell secondhand.You'd probably want an active one, but passives are an easy concept. The main issue is depending on if your amp could push the sub reasonably. When paired with bookshelves you can easily get a detailed full range.

Size of your room is an issue too. 'Bookshelves' can easily work for a reasonably large rooms as long as you have a wall behind the speaker.

Treating of your room is also an issue, but is costly unless you decide to do it yourself, which then takes a lot of time and research. EQ fixes a lot of issues anyway.

Also, stay away from Sound Systems or Hi-Fi Systems like the one you linked. They're typically fairly poor quality, or are just marketed to people who want a cheap 'one and done' solution, or without too much care for sound other than 'BIG FUCKIN BASS REEEE'

What are you going to use the system for? If youre running it off your computer/phone, you can just buy a cheaper  car amp, run it through a powered sub to passive bookshelves, since you won't be needing a proper receiver unless you want to have multiple sources. Even then a cheaper mixer can easily give you the same effect. 

Don't tread on me. I squish, and white liquid comes out. It's icky, trust me.

2 minutes ago, Moist_Sock said:

Get/build a sub. Old subwoofers are cheap as all hell secondhand.You'd probably want an active one, but passives are an easy concept. The main issue is depending on if your amp could push the sub reasonably. When paired with bookshelves you can easily get a detailed full range.

Size of your room is an issue too. 'Bookshelves' can easily work for a reasonably large rooms as long as you have a wall behind the speaker.

Treating of your room is also an issue, but is costly unless you decide to do it yourself, which then takes a lot of time and research. EQ fixes a lot of issues anyway.

Also, stay away from Sound Systems or Hi-Fi Systems like the one you linked. They're typically fairly poor quality, or are just marketed to people who want a cheap 'one and done' solution, or without too much care for sound other than 'BIG FUCKIN BASS REEEE'

What are you going to use the system for? If youre running it off your computer/phone, you can just buy a cheaper  car amp, run it through a powered sub to passive bookshelves, since you won't be needing a proper receiver unless you want to have multiple sources. Even then a cheaper mixer can easily give you the same effect. 

Will just be using AUX. But, I have no idea about amps and all that shit. Soo I'm pretty screwed.

Will just be using AUX.

Means nothing. A 3.5 to 3.5 cable is just a cable. What is your source?

But, I have no idea about amps and all that shit. Soo I'm pretty screwed

Then learn. It is incredibly easy to do so. Hell, simply read wikipedia pages and you'll know pretty much any technical aspect you'd need.

Don't tread on me. I squish, and white liquid comes out. It's icky, trust me.