How do I fix dead USB ports?

themctipers
Go to solution Solved by TAHIRMIA,
1 minute ago, themctipers said:

(Sorry if this is the wrong section)

--

So yesterday I plugged in my G502 into one of my USB ports, and it appears that it has burnt that USB port out. I've plugged it into another one, and it burnt out again. I had learned from my mistake and now its plugged into a USB 1.1 port in case if it burns that (I don't really care about those ports, its USB 1.1 and most of my devices requires 2.0 speeds, and I have 4 1.1 ports)

Is there a way to 'repair' these ports? It has burnt out the ports on the motherboard itself, not using the USB headers. I only have 4 ports left, since the other 2 are broke. (Yes, I need ~5 devices to be plugged in almost all the time)

I have turned down my machine and turned it back on twice (power down via windows, switched the PSU switch, pressed the power button twice, waited ten seconds, bootup again)

I have also tried multiple devices (USB, mouse receiver, printer) and the ports are still dead.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't like the hassel of unplugging a device when I want to plug in a usb.

If it's directly on the MOBO you cannot do anything. Get an RMA done

--

So yesterday I plugged in my G502 into one of my USB ports, and it appears that it has burnt that USB port out. I've plugged it into another one, and it burnt out again. I had learned from my mistake and now its plugged into a USB 1.1 port in case if it burns that (I don't really care about those ports, its USB 1.1 and most of my devices requires 2.0 speeds, and I have 4 1.1 ports)

Is there a way to 'repair' these ports? It has burnt out the ports on the motherboard itself, not using the USB headers. I only have 4 ports left, since the other 2 are broke. (Yes, I need ~5 devices to be plugged in almost all the time)

I have turned down my machine and turned it back on twice (power down via windows, switched the PSU switch, pressed the power button twice, waited ten seconds, bootup again)

I have also tried multiple devices (USB, mouse receiver, printer) and the ports are still dead.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't like the hassel of unplugging a device when I want to plug in a usb.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

--

Hello

59 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Well fuck..

Its out of warrenty and its 'user caused' so..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

like, physically? That's not normal. 

without fancy soldering, no. But you can just get a usb expansion card (something like this https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Express-Expansion-Connector-Renesas/dp/B011LZY20G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480788395&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=usb+pcie+card&psc=1)

I know its not normal. :/

I don't have extra PCIE also..

I have PCI and currently I am using USB headers..

Guess I have to deal with unplugging and plugging in back devices..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Well fuck..

Its out of warrenty and its 'user caused' so..

Then you can't really do anything, get an expansion USB card off eBay or amazon they are really cheap. If you want to revive them then you would have to solder new ports but it isn't worth the risk

Hello

how the hell did you burn a usb port, i'v never herd of that happening with devices like mouses 

59 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Then you can't really do anything, get an expansion USB card off eBay or amazon they are really cheap. If you want to revive them then you would have to solder new ports but it isn't worth the risk

Too broke for that :P

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

guess the only thing you can do is pcie/pci usb ports, or USB hubs 

1 hour ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

how the hell did you burn a usb port, i'v never herd of that happening with devices like mouses 

Short? I don't know, ask the mouse.

1 hour ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Thanks? Not gonna get one - too broke

1 hour ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

guess the only thing you can do is pcie usb ports, or USB hubs 

Yeah I know. :/ 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

You could just get one of those USB expansions that only require 1 port to work and you plug it into the wall. I think I've seen those for like £2-3 

Hello