I5 6600K - the Silicon Lottery Ladder

Hi Guys,

Now I am sure probably a buzillion people have asked this, and now I am the buzillion and one.

What is considered, generically speaking, as a good or one of the better OCs.

My i5 6600K running on ASUS Z170-A motherboard OC'd to 4.5GHz and wont budge any further - do I have a relatively good OC chip?

Many Thanks

I saw a vid by Salazar saying he did his to 4.8GHz and straight up in the first few minutes he warned that only a few could achieve this indicating to me its one of the best. So I am guessing 4.6 and 4.7 is the 'Good' to 'one of the better ones'

6 minutes ago, LAMSTER69 said:

-snip-

Which Voltage are you running?

Also, temps and cooler?

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.

Well this was done via asus AI suite Voltage is 1.183 and temps were at 65ish

I have an artic freezer 240 CPU liquid cooler. Also when ever I even touch anything in the BIOS under AI tweaker the PC refuses to do anything which is why I can only use AI suite.

Just now, LAMSTER69 said:

I have an artic freezer 240 CPU liquid cooler. Also when ever I even touch anything in the BIOS under AI tweaker the PC refuses to do anything which is why I can only use AI suite.

That's pretty good. You can actually use up to 1.5V for Skylake, but your temps will most likely be too high. If you want you can try and hit higher frequencies which will require higher voltages. I would also OC using the BIOS. Start with like 4.6 at 1.2V and stresstest for at least 10 minutes. If that's stable just keep working your way up. Once it's not stable try adding 0.25V more until it is stable. You just want to make sure temps don'

t go over 85C at any time. And once you have found your max overclock you should run a stresstest for at least 12 hours to ensure it's fully stable. 

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

That's pretty good. You can actually use up to 1.5V for Skylake, but your temps will most likely be too high. If you want you can try and hit higher frequencies which will require higher voltages. I would also OC using the BIOS. Start with like 4.6 at 1.2V and stresstest for at least 10 minutes. If that's stable just keep working your way up. Once it's not stable try adding 0.25V more until it is stable. You just want to make sure temps don'

t go over 85C at any time. And once you have found your max overclock you should run a stresstest for at least 12 hours to ensure it's fully stable. 

any BIOs tweaking does not work - eg if I just increase vtfe and level Freq and stock it crashes

Just now, LAMSTER69 said:

any BIOs tweaking does not work - eg if I just increase vtfe and level Freq and stock it crashes

Try disabling the AI suite thing or whatever. 

3 hours ago, LAMSTER69 said:

you're not going to get a max OC on such little voltage. If you can get that high that low you should be able to push for 4.7 IMO. Some chips just fall off at a certain point though, regardless of voltage. 

51 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

you're not going to get a mac OC on such little voltage. If you can get that high that low you should be able to push for 4.7 IMO. Some chips just fall off at a certain point though, regardless of voltage. 

OK sitrep 4.7GHz at 1.37 V and running Aida 64 system stability (not sure if that is the right test) with temps in the 60s

is that good??

1 minute ago, LAMSTER69 said:

OK sitrep 4.7GHz at 1.37 V and running Aida 64 system stability (not sure if that is the right test) with temps in the 60s

is that good??

Yeah that's good. If you want you can push for a bit higher since your temps aren't that high. 

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Yeah that's good. If you want you can push for a bit higher since your temps aren't that high. 

I heard 1.4V gets a bit dangerous in terms of frying the chip 1.3V for 4.6 and 1.37 for 4.7 I guess 1.407V for 4.8 but that pushing it.

But thanks for the help

29 minutes ago, LAMSTER69 said:

is that good??

Solid OC. Good daily driving. You could go higher, but it's likely not worth pushing it more. 

14 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

Solid OC. Good daily driving. You could go higher, but it's likely not worth pushing it more. 

?

17 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

?

Oh and also, when I have finish the Aida 64 I should turn the voltage to adaptive right???

47 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

So when I have finished with the Aida 64 I should turn it to 'adaptive' or something else?

51 minutes ago, LAMSTER69 said:

I heard 1.4V gets a bit dangerous in terms of frying the chip 1.3V for 4.6 and 1.37 for 4.7 I guess 1.407V for 4.8 but that pushing it.

But thanks for the help

It isn't as long as temps are okay. But yeah 1.4V is a bit high for an AIO. 

1 hour ago, Matias_Chambers said:

It isn't as long as temps are okay. But yeah 1.4V is a bit high for an AIO. 

so what voltage mode should I revert to after verification of stability auto, adaptive or off set?