any alternatives to plex?

spiralfuzion

So I've been using my r710 as a dedicated plex server but wonder if there is an alternative to plex? any suggestions for media hosting servers? 

I think Emby is about the only possible contender if we're talking about Plex's streaming and encoding feature.  That said, the real advantage of Plex is that it's available on nearly everything.  Even my Samsung Tizen TV has a Plex client app.

VLC does streaming but its not the same as plex. Last time I tried VLC for streaming I was able to watch a video through web browser.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

VLC does streaming but its not the same as plex. Last time I tried VLC for streaming I was able to watch a video through web browser.

7 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I think Emby is about the only possible contender if we're talking about Plex's streaming and encoding feature.  That said, the real advantage of Plex is that it's available on nearly everything.  Even my Samsung Tizen TV has a Plex client app.

8 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Nothing that works nearly as well, except maybe Synology's stuff

Should I get a plex pass?

A lot of people like Plex and find it easier to use but I really can't vouch for it.  I'm invested in Kodi as my HTPC solution and I've never actually USED Plex, I just have friends that use it.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

A lot of people like Plex and find it easier to use but I really can't vouch for it.  I'm invested in Kodi as my HTPC solution and I've never actually USED Plex, I just have friends that use it.

I've used kody but can you use local storage with the device? I've only used sources that aren't mine haha

1 minute ago, spiralfuzion said:

I've used kody but can you use local storage with the device? I've only used sources that aren't mine haha

Kodi is primarily designed as a media player application.  Any streaming solutions are from add ons, many of which are from third party devs who use them to deliver pirated content.  But Kodi's primary design is for playback of files located on the local machine or on a NAS over the LAN, so yeah, it can certainly use local storage, that it's primary design goal. :P

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Kodi is primarily designed as a media player application.  Any streaming solutions are from add ons, many of which are from third party devs who use them to deliver pirated content.  But Kodi's primary design is for playback of files located on the local machine or on a NAS over the LAN, so yeah, it can certainly use local storage, that it's primary design goal. :P

If you guys have any good skins for it let me know! I hate the basic blue and black. 

Just now, spiralfuzion said:

If you guys have any good skins for it let me know! I hate the basic blue and black. 

My preferred skin is the boring standard Confluence that has been the 'standard' skin until v16, where in v17 the new 'Estuary' is replacing it as the 'standard' skin.  I'm boring, I know. :)

35 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

My preferred skin is the boring standard Confluence that has been the 'standard' skin until v16, where in v17 the new 'Estuary' is replacing it as the 'standard' skin.  I'm boring, I know. :)

40 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

kodi*

Yes, but it's local-network only isn't it?

any recommendations on where i can acquire decent media legally?

Just now, spiralfuzion said:

any recommendations on where i can acquire decent media legally?

Here in Canada, ripping your own DVDs and Blu-rays in what is called 'Format Shifting' is perfectly legal. :)

But frankly, if you want DRM Free Media files to store on a media server, eeeeehn... It's not very common.  I bought a few indie films that way, Video Game High School and some stuff on Vimeo, but that's about it.  Outside of ripping your own legally owned content (I have no idea what America's laws on format shifting are.) I imagine most Kodi users get their content from 'The Usual Places' if you know what I mean.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Here in Canada, ripping your own DVDs and Blu-rays in what is called 'Format Shifting' is perfectly legal. :)

But frankly, if you want DRM Free Media files to store on a media server, eeeeehn... It's not very common.  I bought a few indie films that way, Video Game High School and some stuff on Vimeo, but that's about it.  Outside of ripping your own legally owned content (I have no idea what America's laws on format shifting are.) I imagine most Kodi users get their content from 'The Usual Places' if you know what I mean.

yes sir haha

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Anyplace that sells DVDs.

But Netflix is so much cheaper

netflix is allowing certain shows to be downloaded. Could I upload that to my server? 

1 minute ago, spiralfuzion said:

netflix is allowing certain shows to be downloaded. Could I upload that to my server? 

You can rest assured that any files that are downloaded in their iOS and Android apps for caching are going to be totally encrypted.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

You can rest assured that any files that are downloaded in their iOS and Android apps for caching are going to be totally encrypted.

r.i.p America is really butthurt about drm's and copyright. I've bought so many movies and tv shows. AAAA