Silencing a Apex500?

Hey peeps!

So I have bought a Steelseries Apex M500 for my new rig, and I love it. My girl, dont like it as much. Cherry mx red switches are so loud and clicky, that she cant sleep if Im working late nights.

But I like the keyboard, and dont rly wanna buy another one, but fear that I have to.

Can I silence this keyboard in any way? I have heard about switching cherry mx switches, as cherry mx red silent apparently is a thing? And I read about som o-rings or something, that can do the trick, and also make the Keys more rapid (dunno what thats about tho)? If possible, is soldering needed (as some mentioned)?

Anyway, I would appreciate any solution to this. Thanks for all help.

2 hours ago, Vaskeklut said:

Hey peeps!

So I have bought a Steelseries Apex M500 for my new rig, and I love it. My girl, dont like it as much. Cherry mx red switches are so loud and clicky, that she cant sleep if Im working late nights.

But I like the keyboard, and dont rly wanna buy another one, but fear that I have to.

Can I silence this keyboard in any way? I have heard about switching cherry mx switches, as cherry mx red silent apparently is a thing? And I read about som o-rings or something, that can do the trick, and also make the Keys more rapid (dunno what thats about tho)? If possible, is soldering needed (as some mentioned)?

Anyway, I would appreciate any solution to this. Thanks for all help.

You have three options: stop bottoming out the keys, get some o rings (which still won't dampen the upstroke) or get some zeal clips, which will clip onto the switches, and dampen both the up and downstroke. Also, you could lube each of the switches, if you're feeling very adventurous. That, in combination with the Zeal clips would make the board about as quiet as it can get.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)