LED Strip Questions

enome
Go to solution Solved by Doramius,

LEDs run on DC voltage.  With a long distance, DC voltage has a hard time with resistance of the circuit.  This is why the 2M maximum for brightness. You could go longer, but the desired brightness may have some impact.  Adding an extra Meter might not overall affect the brightness.  

However, with amperage, you cannot draw more current than is provided, or you WILL burn out the power supply.  Full draw of current is like sticking a paperclip in a power outlet.  Shorts it out.  So, if your supply is 2A max, then any LED configuration that is less than 2A will be adequate.  Sort of like having a pipe rate for 200PSI, but you're only using 20PSI of water pressure in the pipe.  The pipe will obviously be able to handle it.  LED strips are not always easy to figure out, so I'll give you this information that "should" be able to help while you're searching.  Some strips can be cut in sections.  See what the individual section draw on current is, if available.  OR, find out how many sections there are in the strip and the overall current, then do the math for cutting up the sections.  Many basic LEDs require little amperage.  This is why using a button cell with a single LED attached can last for weeks and months.  

If you have links for some of the strips you've been viewing, we might be able to see what is looking best for your rig.

I have been searching the net for straight 5 hours, and I still can't comprehend what led strips are going to work. << ModNoob

The build is based on ASUS products, and recently there were some leaks with upcoming Z270 boards.

The leak showed that the board will most likely include two ASUS Aura headers.

So at this point, I'm thinking that NZXT Hue+ is no longer necessary (originally planned in the build) because there is software to control the strips and there are headers with power output.

All I need to do was find some rgb led strips.

I found out that headers put out maximum of 12V/2A with maximum of 2 meter strips for maximum brightness. 

The lengths aren't much of an issue because its going to be a mATX form factor build, but the current really bothered me.

I seen lots of strips with 2A +, and with hours of searching I learned that having a low current source and higher current demand is going to affect overall function in many ways.

I also seen couple of  "ASUS Aura Ready" led strips which were pricey (enough to just buy a NZXT Hue+ instead) 

I still don't know what LED strips I can use without wasting too much money.

4 minutes ago, enome said:

I have been searching the net for straight 5 hours, and I still can't comprehend what led strips are going to work. << ModNoob

The build is based on ASUS products, and recently there were some leaks with upcoming Z270 boards.

The leak showed that the board will most likely include two ASUS Aura headers.

So at this point, I'm thinking that NZXT Hue+ is no longer necessary (originally planned in the build) because there is software to control the strips and there are headers with power output.

All I need to do was find some rgb led strips.

I found out that headers put out maximum of 12V/2A with maximum of 2 meter strips for maximum brightness. 

The lengths aren't much of an issue because its going to be a mATX form factor build, but the current really bothered me.

I seen lots of strips with 2A +, and with hours of searching I learned that having a low current source and higher current demand is going to affect overall function in many ways.

I also seen couple of  "ASUS Aura Ready" led strips which were pricey (enough to just buy a NZXT Hue+ instead) 

I still don't know what LED strips I can use without wasting too much money.

I'm pretty sure any LED strip with a 4 pin connector will work as long as the pinout is the same... The LED strip that I have is 12v as well. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

LEDs run on DC voltage.  With a long distance, DC voltage has a hard time with resistance of the circuit.  This is why the 2M maximum for brightness. You could go longer, but the desired brightness may have some impact.  Adding an extra Meter might not overall affect the brightness.  

However, with amperage, you cannot draw more current than is provided, or you WILL burn out the power supply.  Full draw of current is like sticking a paperclip in a power outlet.  Shorts it out.  So, if your supply is 2A max, then any LED configuration that is less than 2A will be adequate.  Sort of like having a pipe rate for 200PSI, but you're only using 20PSI of water pressure in the pipe.  The pipe will obviously be able to handle it.  LED strips are not always easy to figure out, so I'll give you this information that "should" be able to help while you're searching.  Some strips can be cut in sections.  See what the individual section draw on current is, if available.  OR, find out how many sections there are in the strip and the overall current, then do the math for cutting up the sections.  Many basic LEDs require little amperage.  This is why using a button cell with a single LED attached can last for weeks and months.  

If you have links for some of the strips you've been viewing, we might be able to see what is looking best for your rig.

I'd take a look on AliExpress, eBay, maybe Amazon for good deals on these. Since we can now use standard connectors, this opens to doors to much cheaper, non Gamer-marked-up stuff

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

41 minutes ago, Doramius said:

https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-300LEDs-Flexible-Controller/dp/B00B2F3KDQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1480713724&sr=8-4&keywords=5050+rgb+led

been looking at these but it seems like they were 5A

EDIT:
Read them wrong, it was actually 1.2A.. I think I solved my own issue

18 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

I'd take a look on AliExpress, eBay, maybe Amazon for good deals on these. Since we can now use standard connectors, this opens to doors to much cheaper, non Gamer-marked-up stuff

been looking but too many 2A+ led strips

Yeah, those would work fine.  5M up to 1.2A.  Even the controller that it comes with has a max working load of 2A, so those will definitely work.  

Also, as I said, the strips are able to be cut.  Any sections removed, reduce the overall current draw.  So if it is 1.2A at 5M, You should have PLENTY of power supplied and distance for your case, using those LEDs.

Don't forget to post the setup.  Sounds like a cool build.