Buying a new Mobo to overclock 2600 non k worth it?

So 5 years ago I made a big mistake by just buying a mobo that would fit my CPU socket, I didn't really check the differences. I bought a P8H77-V at the time.

But it's now time that I need some extra power from my CPU (it's now running at 3.8GHz) as it seems like in Battlefield 1, the CPU is being a bottleneck as I can't always keep my 60 fps on 1080p with my GTX 1070. I read that even with the non K you can go up to 4.3GHz when buying the correct mobo.

Now my question is.. should I buy a Z77 like the Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3 for about 100$ on ebay, or shoud I wait and buy a new CPU and mobo at the same time.

Or will the 4.3GHz not really change anything for my BF1 framedrops?

Thanks in advance!

No, your problem is probably elsewhere

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A z77 board for 100 bucks? That´s to much... try to get a used z68, p67 board, or search for a cheaper z77 board. You should make sure, that you have 2133MHz RAM (digital foundry has shown, that RAM speeds actually matter in CPU limited situations). Is your i7 maxed out? What is the rest of your system? Is your gtx 1070 holding its clocks properly? I don´t believe, that you can get a locked i7 to 4,3GHz without some major BCLK changes, 4-4,1GHz should be the maximum, that you will get with a non-k i7 2600.

16 minutes ago, Applepiee said:

Any tips on pinpointing the problem?

Here's the userbenchmark if that can help somehow.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2067816

if the game is on the hdd, that may be bottlenecking your performance. Make sure that the cpu isn't throttliing for heat, with time thermal paste degrades and if you're on the stock cooler it may be getting too hot.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

27 minutes ago, Applepiee said:

Now my question is.. should I buy a Z77 like the Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3 for about 100$ on ebay, or shoud I wait and buy a new CPU and mobo at the same time.

If you have a non "k" cpu like the i7 2600 vs the 2600k, even with a z77 board you won't be able to overclock it.

You can lock it to the max turbo frequency and raise the BCLK, but the gains are minimal at best not really worth it.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

30 minutes ago, Lawliet93 said:

A z77 board for 100 bucks? That´s to much... try to get a used z68, p67 board, or search for a cheaper z77 board. You should make sure, that you have 2133MHz RAM (digital foundry has shown, that RAM speeds actually matter in CPU limited situations). Is your i7 maxed out? What is the rest of your system? Is your gtx 1070 holding its clocks properly? I don´t believe, that you can get a locked i7 to 4,3GHz without some major BCLK changes, 4-4,1GHz should be the maximum, that you will get with a non-k i7 2600.

I have 1333 Mhz ram (Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9, not running 1600 because my pc won't boot if I select it). I normally had an extra (difference brand) 8gig stick in the pc, but I'm currently checking if that's an issue to mix things like this.

1 minute ago, Applepiee said:

I have 1333 Mhz ram (Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9, not running 1600 because my pc won't boot if I select it). I normally had an extra (difference brand) 8gig stick in the pc, but I'm currently checking if that's an issue to mix things like this.

It might be the motherboard, as I said, if you can get a cheap z68, p67 or a z77 board, go for it (it is cheaper than buying a new mobo and a CPU).

5 minutes ago, Lawliet93 said:

It might be the motherboard, as I said, if you can get a cheap z68, p67 or a z77 board, go for it (it is cheaper than buying a new mobo and a CPU).

So with a new motherboard I could:

Run the ram at 1600Mhz (if possible)

Overlock the CPU a little more (although users above suggested not to overclock a non k with the BCLK)

You think these 2 things will fix my bottle neck? I just checked again and when playing BF1 at 50 fps I can see that the CPU is around 85% in use. (used HWmonitor)

Pretty sure max RAM speed is 1333, controlled by the CPUs memory controller.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430