Noob in audio things, headset broken cus of rage, need suggestions

Wooph

Hi!

So I owned a Razer Kraken 7.1 for about 2 years and a half, in which the poor headset was thrown over and over, wherever it went flying. I got rid of the habit recently and started hitting my desk because that seems better. Thing is, I broke the headset several days ago. Smashed it on the desk, right cup went flying, not interested in fixing it.

Now I'm interested into making the right step, so after some research, I got to the conclusion that most "gaming" headsets out there are overpriced, don't impress with the sound and have crap mics. I decided to go to the stereo headset + ModMic way.

I need opinions. I'm really interested in Sennheiser. My budget is pretty tight, around 1000 RON (235 USD, that is). I went to the local shop's website and found interesting deals and found two options:

• 652 RON (153 USD) for the Sennheiser HD 559 + 50 GBP (62 USD) for the ModMic v4 Uni from Amazon UK = 917 RON (215 USD)
  • 990 RON (232 USD) for the Sennheiser PC 373D. I can live with that mic, it's decent, but not quite hitting my standards. But if the headphones themselves are nice, I'd go for it, even if I said I quit "gaming" headsets.

I'm looking for a good music listening experience, a good gaming experience and a good mic. I'm into metal, I play games that require good positional audio (like CS:GO) and I like mics that have minimal background noise and are not compressed. 

You guys be the judge: which of the two options above is better? What would be the differences? Also, do I need an amp for any of the above-mentioned headphones? (My mobo is a ASRock H87 Fatal1ty (click for specs, scroll for "Audio" section))

PS: I'll stop hitting my peripherals out of rage, I promise :')

PS2: Also, wtf is happening to the ModMic website? Are they hyping up a v5.0 or what?

might not be what you're looking for but i use the logitech g633 and i love them great sound decent mic (folds away into headset) can even contact logitech and get a free braided cable

22 minutes ago, rawrturkey said:

might not be what you're looking for but i use the logitech g633 and i love them great sound decent mic (folds away into headset) can even contact logitech and get a free braided cable

Thanks for the suggestion. In the first search for a new headset, I wanted to go wireless. The Logitech g933 was my best bet, but really got disappointed when I found out that those like falling off your head a lot. I don't sit a lot in a single position, I like moving a lot, especially when I'm listening to music, so that's a deal breaker for me :/ Thanks anyway!

Maybe a Philips SHP9500 with a BoomPro (cheaper, one cable, sounds better than ModMic imo). If you want wireless you can get a 3.5mm jack to bluetooth adapter.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

Maybe a Philips SHP9500 with a BoomPro (cheaper, one cable, sounds better than ModMic imo). If you want wireless you can get a 3.5mm jack to bluetooth adapter.

Just listened to the BoomPro, sounds about the same in quality, so yeah, that's a strong option. I have no idea how Philips is as a brand, but I'll look into these. As for the jack to Bluetooth, I don't know, I need that 0-latency so I can't realy trust a third party solution. Dunno

EDIT: Holy hell, I haven't found any bad opinion about the Philips SHP9500s, seems like an excellent option. Thank you!

Edited by Wooph
Looked into the Philips SHP9500s

As a user of Logitech G633 I can say that the quality of sound without any surround sound option turned on is great. They are pretty closed-back, but they sound natural nevertheless. Logitech gaming software is easy to use, you have tons of options when assigning functions on G-keys on the back of the headphones. The volume wheel on the headphones is great, I use it all the time, it doesn't have that distinct click you'd maybe want when scrolling but it doesn't bother me. Mic is okay, my friends say I sound okay. It gives a slight robotic kind of tone to your voice, but it really isn't noticable, when talking on skype or teamspeak. I wouldn't recommend it for profesional commentary or sth, it's great for everyday use. You can even set the undertone so you hear yourselft speaking through the mic when in game, because I know how anoying can it be to talk and not hear shit about it. Dolby surround works great in movies and games, but I have it turned off for youtube and such.. DTSx from logitech is a bit to heavy for my ears.. Think of is as Dolby on steroids. It's great, but you will only get the benefit in games that support it. I think these headphones are the best in their pricerange or at least for what they were intended to do - gaming. I'd say try them, but you can't abviously. If gaming is your priority, look no further, but for audio workloads I'd maybe pick sth from audio technica.. A more open back and natural, true to life sound curve you know.. No saying that they aren't great for media consuption.. but for media or audio creating maybe not..

2 hours ago, Light-Yagami said:

As a user of Logitech G633 I can say that the quality of sound without any surround sound option turned on is great. They are pretty closed-back, but they sound natural nevertheless. Logitech gaming software is easy to use, you have tons of options when assigning functions on G-keys on the back of the headphones. The volume wheel on the headphones is great, I use it all the time, it doesn't have that distinct click you'd maybe want when scrolling but it doesn't bother me. Mic is okay, my friends say I sound okay. It gives a slight robotic kind of tone to your voice, but it really isn't noticable, when talking on skype or teamspeak. I wouldn't recommend it for profesional commentary or sth, it's great for everyday use. You can even set the undertone so you hear yourselft speaking through the mic when in game, because I know how anoying can it be to talk and not hear shit about it. Dolby surround works great in movies and games, but I have it turned off for youtube and such.. DTSx from logitech is a bit to heavy for my ears.. Think of is as Dolby on steroids. It's great, but you will only get the benefit in games that support it. I think these headphones are the best in their pricerange or at least for what they were intended to do - gaming. I'd say try them, but you can't abviously. If gaming is your priority, look no further, but for audio workloads I'd maybe pick sth from audio technica.. A more open back and natural, true to life sound curve you know.. No saying that they aren't great for media consuption.. but for media or audio creating maybe not..

I'm not interested in the G-keys and those features, I have 18 programmable G-keys on my K95 so I'm fine. The undertone that you're talking about is a great feature, but is a feature that you can obtain on any headphone that is connected with a jack (I found that via USB it has a big delay that makes you speak jam, only if it's a native feature like on the g633s it works fine). The virtual sourround from Logitech is amazing, I'm aware of that, but I'd rather have good and accurate media playback with a big soundstage on a pair of stereo headphones that also are great for media consumption than virtual sourround on a headset that is not that great for media, for the same price. Also the mic is so meeeeh, it's pretty compressed, I kinda dislike it. Thanks, tho!

Edited by Wooph
typo

2 minutes ago, Wooph said:

I'm not interested in the G-keys and those features, I have 18 programmable G-keys on my K95 so I'm fine. The undertone that you're talking about is a great feature, but is a feature that you can obtain on any headphone that is connected with a jack (I found that via USB it has a big delay that makes you speak jam, only if it's a native feature like on the g633s it works fine). The virtual sourround from Logitech is amazing, I'm aware of that, but I'd rather have good and accurate media playback with a big soundstage on a pair of stereo headphones that also are great for media consumption than virtual sourround on a headset that is not that great for media, for the same price. Also the mic is so meeeeh, it's pretty compress, I kinda dislike it. Thanks, tho!

Maybe sth like Audio technica ath m50x or m70x? Those are great from what I've heard

1 hour ago, Light-Yagami said:

Maybe sth like Audio technica ath m50x or m70x? Those are great from what I've heard

Correct me if I'm wrong, but closed-back headphones = smaller sound stage = worse positional destinction = worse for gaming. So yeah, I looked into them, but when I found out that they are closed-back, I bailed. Thank you anyway :)

PS: I also enjoy a wider sound stage in music.