Question about Windows 8 storage spaces feature.

xserd

Hello guys, I learned about the storage spaces feature on 1 of Linus's videos about having mix-matched hard disk drives that can act as a raid setup and how this is a really cool feature of Windows 8. The question is, what happens to your data if let's say Windows 8 got corrupted and you can't access your desktop?

I believe it functions in a way like RAID 1 so the data is mirrored, not striped

It should be recoverable, either by simply plugging it into a different computer and simply retrieving the files or actually going into Windows and using some sort of tool for recovery, but you can get it back

Honestly though, I wouldn't deal with the hassle, I would just do regular backups of my important data

Just so you know 'parity' runs WICKED slow, tried with 3x3tb seageat's, transfer started off ok for like 10 sec, then dropped to 5~8 mb/s. Mirrors worked fine tho.

But any ways, i was able to detect and use a set up made on windows server 2012, on windows 8, and vise-verse. So if you pop in an OS with storage spaces you should be good.

Ended up getting a RAID card tho, b/c time and useable space being worth more then the cost. Running in RAID 5 and works beautifully.

(ebay is your friend, but a good priced auction can get aggressive in the last 60 seconds)

Mirror or parity only protect against physical drive failure. If data in a raid array gets corrupt, the data will be corrupt across all of the disks. The only way to recover from something like that would be to use backups/system images to a separate drive, or system restore if you can get onto your desktop.