How bad of a mistake did I make?

So, I recently started assembling a computer for a client, and I did two questionable things by accident.

1. The cpu cooler includes a blue led fan while the build is themed red, so I got an additional cpu fan to use instead

2. The cpu is a Skylake i7 6700K, but the motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128843) I think isn't overclockable. In the future, my client want's to upgrade to water cooling, and will overclock that cpu then, hence the overclockable cpu...But I forgot about the motherboard.

So, my questions corresponding with the situations above are:

1. What should I do with the extra blue fan? Should I even use the replacement?

2. Will the motherboard still work with the CPU? Should I return the motherboard, or get a non K cpu? Is it okay? (Now that I look, I got the K cpu on sale, so it costs as much as the equivalent non K). Will they just have to upgrade the mobo in addition to the cpu cooler when they want to overclock? Should they overclock? Will the computer even work? Can I overclock with that motherboard?

Computers r fun

that motherboard is a Z170 chipset motherboard and it does fully support overclocking for both the CPU and the RAM...it's all good.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

25 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

that motherboard is a Z170 chipset motherboard and it does fully support overclocking for both the CPU and the RAM...it's all good.

Phew! This is my first Skylake build, and all of the last gen Overclocking Mobo's advertised overclocking like crazy, this one barley employed it. Enough with excuses, Thank you!

Computers r fun

Any thoughts on the fan situation? Do you think I can get an decent overclock with air cooling?

Computers r fun

Just now, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Any thoughts on the fan situation? Do you think I can get an decent overclock with air cooling?

oh yeah you can increase the voltage a little bit and get a fair overclock without the CPU overheating even with a cheap 3rd party air cooler...as for the fan, i would use the fan that match the build color, and the other one maybe you can use for additional air intake on the case or something, or keep it for another build...i don't know.

WHat fan and CPU cooler you have there?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

oh yeah you can increase the voltage a little bit and get a fair overclock without the CPU overheating even with a cheap 3rd party air cooler...as for the fan, i would use the fan that match the build color, and the other one maybe you can use for additional air intake on the case or something, or keep it for another build...i don't know.

WHat fan and CPU cooler you have there?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jxphFd

Computers r fun

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

that's a pretty good build actually...you should have no problem getting the CPU to 4.4 or 4.5ghz with that cooler...CPU voltage you should not go above 1.25V on the core...set XMP profile for the RAM and it should be good to go!

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

that's a pretty good build actually...you should have no problem getting the CPU to 4.4 or 4.5ghz with that cooler...CPU voltage you should not go above 1.25V on the core...set XMP profile for the RAM and it should be good to go!

Thank you! My client was concerned that overclocking was threatening to the components lifespan, or was afraid it would break something. I only have experience in GPU overclocking. Is that true? Should I still go for it?

Computers r fun

Thank you! My client was concerned that overclocking was threatening to the components lifespan, or was afraid it would break something. I only have experience in GPU overclocking. Is that true? Should I still go for it?

nahh it won't drasticaly impact anything unless you dumb stupid amount of voltage and let the temps go to max...stay bellow 1.3V and 85c for the CPU and you'll have no problem.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

nahh it won't drasticaly impact anything unless you dumb stupid amount of voltage and let the temps go to max...stay bellow 1.3V and 85c for the CPU and you'll have no problem.

My computers cpu usually sits at 100c....

I guess I need to fix that, Oops!

Computers r fun

Just now, TheNuzziNuzz said:

My computers cpu usually sits at 100c....

I guess I need to fix that, Oops!

100c is throttling speed...it's where the CPU will slow itself down to prevent damage...so yeah that's bad...double check your CPU cooler make sure it's seated on your CPU properly and that you have some thermal paste there i would ideally take it off, clean it real good with a towel and put new paste and remount it...is your CPU overclocked a lot?

11 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Its a 3 year old i5 4440... 4 cores, 3.2 ghz...

Omg, I just realized its using the stock cooler, I feel like i'm going to be orphaned by the LTT community now!

no this kind of CPU's can be used with the boxed cooler no problem but something is wrong with yours...either the thermal past or the cooler does not make good contact with the CPU...normal temps on this would be around 80-85c under load something like that...

15 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

100c is throttling speed...it's where the CPU will slow itself down to prevent damage...so yeah that's bad...double check your CPU cooler make sure it's seated on your CPU properly and that you have some thermal paste there i would ideally take it off, clean it real good with a towel and put new paste and remount it...is your CPU overclocked a lot?

Okay, I deleted my previous post...It was 100f not c... haha

Computers r fun

Okay, I deleted my previous post...It was 100f not c... haha

ahhh that makes more sense :P evryting is fine then !

100F is 37c so that's an okay temps for idle/browsing the net.