i'm planning on overclocking this build, which psu should i get?

Go to solution Solved by chowderblue,
Just now, HorrorCosmic said:

I would second this. the 750 watts may cover its needed wattage but its also a Bronze rank, which means the higher you get in usage the less efficient it becomes. I believe passed 70% (don't quote me on that) and once you go past its efficiency it starts to cause under voltage / over voltage and since you want to overclock then thats not good.

whats the difference between bronze silver gold ect??

Corsair RMx 650

EVGA G2/G3 650

Corsair HX/AX 650

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Corsair RMx 650

EVGA G2/G3 650

Corsair HX/AX 650

650 watt? really? cause if im overclocking i'm afraid it'll hit the 1000's

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Corsair RMx 650

EVGA G2/G3 650

Corsair HX/AX 650

if so then the 750w i have now should be good right?

Just now, chowderblue said:

Overclocking does not increase power draw by hundred of watts lol. Yours a green label CXM though I would get a different one

1 minute ago, chowderblue said:

but 750w is good too

Overclocking does not increase power draw by hundred of watts lol. Yours a green label CXM though I would get a different one

what does a green label mean?

what does a green label mean?

It means the text on the side of the PSU is green. And it also means it is not really good as it has been placed in TIER 4 in PSU TIER LIST. The lower the number the better and 4 is not particularly good

Wow, GTX 1080 SLI for 1080p 144Hz? Kinda overkill...

For a X99 + GTX 1080 SLI system, I'd say you'd be fine with 750W. I would get either the Corsair RM750i/x or the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2/G3/P2.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

but 750w is good too

@deXxterlab97 i'm also going to be having a logitech G710 gaming keyboard and logitech g5202 gaming mouse with a blue snowball mic, with maybe plugging in a xbox controller every so often so does that take into account?

@deXxterlab97 i'm also going to be having a logitech G710 gaming keyboard and logitech g5202 gaming mouse with a blue snowball mic, with maybe plugging in a xbox controller every so often so does that take into account?

hell no

wait i did not notice 2 1080 there. get 750w instead not 650w and yes, that psu you own might not be the best

hell no

lol ok so just change brands of my power supply?

lol ok so just change brands of my power supply?

yes. the one I mentioned but 750w

wait i did not notice 2 1080 there. get 750w instead not 650w and yes, that psu you own might not be the best

i bought it from best buy :x h100i V2 750w 80+ bronze

My general rule when choosing a PSU based upon PCPartPicker is to look at the total number of estimated watts consumed (627) and add 100 or 10% of the total power draw, whichever's greater. In your case, that would put 750W as the magic number, although given how expensive your components are, I'd recommend shooting for an even higher end PSU with 800-850W behind it. Anything from tier 1 or tier 2 of this list makes sense:

Moral of the story: don't pair a cheap PSU with a 6800K and two 1080s. You're gonna have a bad day when the thing goes out on you. If you can return the 750W green CXM, please, for the sake of your PC, do so and spend a little more now to avoid potentially spending a lot more later.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

My general rule when choosing a PSU based upon PCPartPicker is to look at the total number of estimated watts consumed (627) and add 100 or 10% of the total power draw, whichever's greater. In your case, that would put 750W as the magic number, although given how expensive your components are, I'd recommend shooting for an even higher end PSU with 800-850W behind it. Anything from tier 1 or tier 2 of this list makes sense:

Moral of the story: don't pair a cheap PSU with a 6800K and two 1080s. You're gonna have a bad day when the thing goes out on you. If you can return the 750W green CXM, please, for the sake of your PC, do so and spend a little more now to avoid potentially spending a lot more later.

oh man scary stuff, ok 850W of another brand like EVGA for my pc. but i'm not sure if my psu is "green CXM" and i'm not even sure what that means, please explain?

5 minutes ago, chowderblue said:

oh man scary stuff, ok 850W of another brand like EVGA for my pc. but i'm not sure if my psu is "green CXM" and i'm not even sure what that means, please explain?

it means it sucks and you should return that piece of shit and get a better one.

Wattage is one thing, if your overclocking you want stable power. reputable brands like corsair, evga, and antec are great but i would pick a few and find some reviews on them where someone monitored voltage drooping under full load. that's what you want to avoid. Then if you want to take the extra step find a surge protector that also conditions power. It might say clean power or power conditioner in its description. Or a UPS will do that as well, but i've seen issues where a power hungry pc will trip a UPS because of its amp pull

3 minutes ago, chowderblue said:

Your current PSU is a Corsair CXM. The letters in "CX750M" should be green on your PSU. Hence, it's a green-label CXM. The green-labeled CXM units are of pretty poor quality, and absolutely 100% not suited for high-end builds like yours in any imaginable way. There are also CXMs out there with gray lettering on the label, and those gray CXMs are much better PSUs. Still, with a rig as high-end as yours, I'd be looking at Corsair's RM850i or RM850x, an EVGA G2, a Seasonic X series or something else that's 850W or so and on the high end.

1 minute ago, HorrorCosmic said:

Wattage is one thing, if your overclocking you want stable power. reputable brands like corsair, evga, and antec are great but i would pick a few and find some reviews on them where someone monitored voltage drooping under full load. that's what you want to avoid. Then if you want to take the extra step find a surge protector that also conditions power. It might say clean power or power conditioner in its description. Or a UPS will do that as well, but i've seen issues where a power hungry pc will trip a UPS because of its amp pull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjS9CTqu1PY

this is the one i actually bought, the "original" CX series which doesn't display green but grey. still don't know what a green band means

14 minutes ago, chowderblue said:

The CPU can draw up to 150-200 watts when overclocked or so I heard. Each 1080 will probably not go over the maximum 225 watts the power connectors/PCIE slot can offer, and I estimate they draw about 80-90% that when overclocked. So doing the math, 150+(200x2)+about 30-40% increase from that. PCpartpicker may say 627 watts, but that's at stock, also keep in mind most high end PSUs are mos tefficient at 70-80% usage and not lower or higher. Anyone saying 750watts will do fine, is just saying you should pin that PSU to the max

1 minute ago, chowderblue said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjS9CTqu1PY

this is the one i actually bought, the "original" CX series which doesn't display green but grey. still don't know what a green band means

The gray CXMs are much better than the greens. If it were my PC, I'd still go for a higher end PSU to get better ripple protection and voltage regulation, but a gray CXM isn't going to go all Chinese firecracker on you. Still, the output of your PSU is just, imo, too low.

Just now, aisle9 said:

The gray CXMs are much better than the greens. If it were my PC, I'd still go for a higher end PSU to get better ripple protection and voltage regulation, but a gray CXM isn't going to go all Chinese firecracker on you. Still, the output of your PSU is just, imo, too low.

Ok thank you, if you were to build this build; which psu would you go for out of your choices? and honestly if we're being cautious about it i'd rather go with a 900w or 1000w