Shield TV vs PS4/XBONE

bobhays

Best media player?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Shield or Consoles

• Shield TV
    • PS4
    • XBONE
    • HTPC (Please comment for this one I want to know what you're running)

With the crazy low prices of the new consoles is there would you consider a shield TV?

The biggest advantage I see for the shield is that since it's an android box you can run emulators and it has the nvidia gamestream stuff (idk how popular of a feature that is). Oh and chromecast support.

The consoles on the other hand have upgradeable drives, blu-ray players, and support for console games.

I'm actually looking at them for more of a media player and it mainly comes down to chromecast support vs blu-ray drives. The consoles aren't that bad of a deal and thats without considering their games and exclusives. They also have all of the main media apps one would use on a shield like Netflix, HBO, Youtube, etc.

No gaming? Then HTPC

gt 720 capable of getting 4k@30hz

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD 2650 1.45GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($27.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock AM1B-ITX Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard  ($34.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair ValueSelect 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($26.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot Blaze 60GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($41.50 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($115.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 720 1GB Video Card  ($47.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Apex MI-008 Mini ITX Tower Case w/250W Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS40 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($45.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad  ($27.29 @ Amazon)
Total: $407.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-29 22:00 EST-0500

Using an old Lynnfield and Evergreen potato (can't remember the exact specs).

Using Kodi for multimedia needs (successor to XBMC) and Steam in-home streaming with Xbox 360 controllers for gaming.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

37 minutes ago, bobhays said:

The biggest advantage I see for the shield is that since it's an android box you can run emulators and it has the nvidia gamestream stuff (idk how popular of a feature that is). Oh and chromecast support.

a raspberry pi can do this.

I have the shield tablet, its better than the TV in that it is also a tablet. The games aren't great; its got some older AAA titles (Doom3, KOTOR, GTA san andreas) but I have not found any good multiplayer that are not those silly freemium junky ones. A lot of android games do not work with the controller. I cannot find a decent car racing game that is multiplayer. Its a good tablet and I'm pretty sure the tablet does 4k video like the tv does, but youtube on the tablet is not the same as youtube on the tv.

You might be better off with a decent phone with chrome cast?

sheild.gif

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

34 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

snip

What software are you using on it? I wanted a living room media player so and I like the remote friendliness of the Android TV and Consoles. On top of that they support 1080p Netflix (this one might be moot but last I heard other than edge the rest are 720p)

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

snip

I meant retro emulators through retroarch but those can be run off the Pi too. The main advantage is that it's just a lot easier to use and setup. Also I was talking about advantages compared to consoles not other solution (still prefer the Android emulator to the Raspberry Pi setup for couch gaming).

13 minutes ago, bobhays said:

I meant retro emulators through retroarch but those can be run off the Pi too. The main advantage is that it's just a lot easier to use and setup. Also I was talking about advantages compared to consoles not other solution (still prefer the Android emulator to the Raspberry Pi setup for couch gaming).

Main diff is PS4 has new games, shield has old re-released for android. i would not by a ps4/xbox just for media. Also need to pay to play online with ps4/xbox

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

10 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Main diff is PS4 has new games, shield has old re-released for android. i would not by a ps4/xbox just for media. Also need to pay to play online with ps4/xbox

idk that was kind of the point of this post. The ps4 makes a pretty good media player especially if you care about blu-rays. The games is just another big bonus if you're into that, if you aren't you just don't pay for the monthly fee.