H220 sounds like it's leaking.

For

So a few hours ago I almost shit myself because I heard water leaking from what seemed like the inside of my pc so my immediate reaction was: "holy fuck it must be slowly pooling on top of the gpu backplate quick turn it off before it shorts out!"

So I turned it off and opened the case and there was no leaks, I guessed it must have been the wind playing around with water that collected on the roof or something (I live in europe we had the pretty bad stormy weather today so it made sense) but I couldn't believe it sounded that much like the H220 was leaking.

So I turn it back on and the exact same sound again from the cpu-block/pump of the H220, I turn it off and back on and the same happens.

It has been making an odd buzzing sound whenever I turned on my pc but I guessed that was just the pump starting up and/or air bubbles in the pump.

However it does not make this sound at all after booting so I never bothered with it.

However now it makes the dripping leak sound every time when I turn my pc on and probably from time to time when it's on just like when I heard it the first time.

I have my H220 radiator mounted to the front of my Define XL R2, the cpu-block/pump is the highest part of the loop so air will collect there, I didn't change anything to my loop setup since I first got it.

What can I do to make it go away? Mount the radiator on the top or will bleeding it out and re-filling it fix it for the most part?

I could unmount the radiator and put it on top of the case for a bit so that all the air will collect in the "res" on the bottom of the radiator where there is a fill/bleed port I suppose.

Is that the best way I can go about bleeding the air out of the loop?

Also one question about bleeding out air in general, is it a smart idea to put a watercooling loop together outside of the case and leak test it like that and also do the bleeding (since I assume if you do it like this it will be much easier since you can put the res in the highest point of the loop and far more easily get air out of the gpu blocks since you can easily turn them around a bit to loop the air out) as long as you are really really careful when you put it in the case (planning to use compression fittings so they should hold together better then other fittings if I am correct) I mean you can put an all in one inside a case so I am guessing if you have a second/third pair of hands you should be able to put a full loop (480mm rad with pump/res mounted to it, 240mm rad, cpu block and 2x7990) inside of case no problem.

I RMAd  an h220 because it stopped working after it made noises like that.  You might want to replace it if it's still in warranty.  If it's not in warranty, just keep an eye on it.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

yeah it's still in warranty and still will be for another year and a half, how did you know it died crash then a blue screen saying the CPU overheated at next boot?

your talking about a slight droopy water sound for a sec or two right...

I have heard it as well.....when I turn my pc on.

I thought it was a leak too....but after those few sec its gone.

I wouldn't worry.... don't let ppl scare you into thinking to RMA....its got a 3 year warranty.

it may be when the pump is starting to spool up...

the buzzing is the pump....it make a buzz while its running....it is a pump after all....but when you first start up it goes full speed....then comes down when the bios or os takes control

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

I see, I did some more googling and found out that some people had it and it went away after a while.

I guess I am hearing it because all the air in the loop can now flow to the pump when it's off, now that I think of it before I upgraded to a 7990 the tubes went slightly lower which might have stopped some of the air from moving to the pump when it's off.

I'll see if I can get the tubes back in the old position and see if it still happens.

Yeah it goes away when I put the tubes a bit lower so that part of the air collects in the radiator and part of it collects in the pump.

It comes back if I put the tubes back and leave it off for a minute or two.

@Dim I believe this thread has been resolved.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

yea mine is mounted up top....

I've actually had my case open on my desk all day and ive heard a noise every so often....not the bubbling leaking sound buy more of a click....its possible its just a bit of air going through the loop

I've never noticed it before because my case is always closed.  LOL now you got me worrying a bit lol

I've had no problems with performance...and pump rpms have been fine no fluctuations....

i'm guessing maybe its just small air bubble hitting the impeller going through...

as long as it performs fine there should be no worry.

once I expand for 290x i'll make sure to bleed it so there is little room for air.....then i'll see if that changes things.

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Is the refil port on the res facing up or down? I would recommend that it faces up as it can act as a trap for any air bubbles.

yeah it's still in warranty and still will be for another year and a half, how did you know it died crash then a blue screen saying the CPU overheated at next boot?

My CPU kept overheating.   I was using Core Temp and it was getting to 100c at underclocked speeds within a few minutes.  CPU worked fine with the stock cooler.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

yea mine is mounted up top....

I've actually had my case open on my desk all day and ive heard a noise every so often....not the bubbling leaking sound buy more of a click....its possible its just a bit of air going through the loop

I've never noticed it before because my case is always closed.  LOL now you got me worrying a bit lol

I've had no problems with performance...and pump rpms have been fine no fluctuations....

i'm guessing maybe its just small air bubble hitting the impeller going through...

as long as it performs fine there should be no worry.

once I expand for 290x i'll make sure to bleed it so there is little room for air.....then i'll see if that changes things.

I wouldn't worry about it too much however I have never heard my H220 make clicks. I have had my case opened up when I got the H220 and I have had it open since I heard the leak sound and haven't heard a click a single time.

I'd keep an eye on that click, if you hear it often bleed the loop for a bit and refill it see if it keeps making it, there might be something wrong with the pump or maybe a bit of plastic/metal/solder in the loop that could damage your pump in the long run.

Is the refil port on the res facing up or down? I would recommend that it faces up as it can act as a trap for any air bubbles.

At the moment mine if facing downwards however there is no use in putting it upwards because I can't refill it because it's mounted on the front of my case so the 5.25inch bays are in the way, also the tubing is too short to put it upside down and then there is the fact that if I mount it on the top it won't matter because it'll be horizontal so I will probably end up putting my rig on it's side then dismounting the rad and ghetto mounting it with the fill port facing up so I can bleed it out a bit.

My CPU kept overheating.   I was using Core Temp and it was getting to 100c at underclocked speeds within a few minutes.  CPU worked fine with the stock cooler.

I see, and it happened all of a sudden? Did you hear just the leak sound or did yours make clicks like 2Supra4U's H220?

I wouldn't worry about it too much however I have never heard my H220 make clicks. I have had my case opened up when I got the H220 and I have had it open since I heard the leak sound and haven't heard a click a single time.

I'd keep an eye on that click, if you hear it often bleed the loop for a bit and refill it see if it keeps making it, there might be something wrong with the pump or maybe a bit of plastic/metal/solder in the loop that could damage your pump in the long run.

well actually I just realized....I forgot I had just formatted in preparation for my 290x....I didn't have Ai Suite 3 installed....so I hadn't done FanXpert yet. My pump was running at like 22-2300 rpm constantly. now that I did auto fan tune, its back to 1300rpm where it should be. Haven't heard it again so far.

Maybe click was the wrong description...maybe more of a tick...but split second....didn't sound like something was in the loop making the noise. Could of been a small air bubble circulating or the pump changing rpm

Like I said as long as its performing right we got nothing to worry about.  3 year warranty....

I just picked up my 290x at Purolator....IT IS TIME!

well actually I just realized....I forgot I had just formatted in preparation for my 290x....I didn't have Ai Suite 3 installed....so I hadn't done FanXpert yet. My pump was running at like 22-2300 rpm constantly. now that I did auto fan tune, its back to 1300rpm where it should be. Haven't heard it again so far.

Maybe click was the wrong description...maybe more of a tick...but split second....didn't sound like something was in the loop making the noise. Could of been a small air bubble circulating or the pump changing rpm

Like I said as long as its performing right we got nothing to worry about.  3 year warranty....

I just picked up my 290x at Purolator....IT IS TIME!

Gratz on the 290X.

Also I see now what you mean with that tick, I listened very closely to my h220 at boot and before it does it's whole leak sound and buzzing turn on noise it does make a small tick as well.

Had to focus to hear it trough the trickling water but I hear the tick as well, I guess it's just the pump turning on and then changing rpm.