replacing laptop screens

Does anyone know if there is any sort of standardization in laptop screens? Are there standards for screw placement and connectors that I can look for? I am hoping to replace a few laptop screens by getting used or generic screens, not have to buy more expensive model specific screens. I can't even find an exact model match sometimes.

8 minutes ago, arirr said:

Does anyone know if there is any sort of standardization in laptop screens? Are there standards for screw placement and connectors that I can look for? I am hoping to replace a few laptop screens by getting used or generic screens, not have to buy more expensive model specific screens. I can't even find an exact model match sometimes.

there are several options available on amazon.ca

just search for your laptop model and there should be a few hits as "LCD LED Screen assembly / Panel" etc

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, mok said:

there are several options available on amazon.ca

just search for your laptop model and there should be a few hits as "LCD LED Screen assembly / Panel" etc

im hoping for cheaper generic options

2 minutes ago, mok said:

What is your laptop model

one is a dell something i cant find it because the screen is broken, i don't have an external, and the stickers are missing

7 minutes ago, arirr said:

one is a dell something i cant find it because the screen is broken, i don't have an external, and the stickers are missing

take a photo of the laptop

2 minutes ago, mok said:

take a photo of the laptop

Pics or it didn't happen? btw already took the broken screen off

IMG_20161129_212624.jpg

Dell inspiron 1525? those had 15.4" screens

youre gonna have to check photos of dell inspirons to make sure they have the same port layout on the side to confirm which specific model that is..

youre better off just pulling the HDD out and throwing away the rest imo

42 minutes ago, arirr said:

The short answer is yes, you have to get a screen made for the laptop with the right connectors and placements. SO no there's really no "Generic" options. I would just hook it up to a external and use it like a desktop until you can get a new laptop. Or sell them on eBay for parts.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

this ain't mine someone wants me to fix it

1 minute ago, arirr said:

this ain't mine someone wants me to fix it

okay, most of the newer screens run 50-75 usd, you'll need they exact same screen model or compatible replacement part. if they don't want to put that into it maybe do a data recovery instead.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

Laptop screens are generally either eDP or LVDS.  LVDS being the older standard.  eDP being the newer standard.  That laptop in the picture looks highly likely that it would be a LVDS, not an eDP just based on its age (eDP is a newer standard that only started really being used 3-4 years ago!).  Screens themselves are generally fairly standardized.  You should be able to look up the exact screen used in that laptop and order an identical replacement without a lot of trouble.  As another person stated, with laptops being so cheap, used, these days, might want to consider whether you'd be better off just eBay'ing a replacement laptop or the shell of one, and transferring over whatever re-usable parts (ie: RAM, HDD, maybe even keyboard and WiFi radios) you want. 

thank you, it probably uses eDP if it is just those 2 standards. I tried to use an old macbook pro (core 2 duo) screen, but it used a different connector. If there is a decent chance that it might be usable later it is worth keeping. The Dell has USB 3.0 so it's not that old.