CPU fan constantly maxed out and CPU temps at 99°C!

My CPU fan is constantly maxed out on max rpm right from boot up. I checked OpenHardwareMonitor to check the temps and it showed: Temp#1 34,1 °C, Temp#2 99,0 °C , Temp#3 30,3  °C.

I don't think the CPU is actually hitting 99 °C considering both Temp#1 and #3 are below 40 °C.

Also, Temp#1 and #3 both change about 0,1 °C up and down every few seconds while Temp#2 is staying at precisely 99 °C and not moving one bit.

How do I fix this? Please help!

My CPU is an Intel Core i-7 920 at 2.66 Ghz

Do you have thermal paste on? That is an old CPU, the temperature sensor could be damaged. Hold your hand above the heatsink and see if the air coming through the cooler feels hot warm.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

If you're using the stock cooler, take a look at it and see if it's got any broken pins, that's a common reason for Intel CPUs being super hot.

Temps 1 and 3 are probably other chips on your motherboard, so your CPU probably is hitting 99.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

If you're using the stock cooler, take a look at it and see if it's got any broken pins, that's a common reason for Intel CPUs being super hot.

Temps 1 and 3 are probably other chips on your motherboard, so your CPU probably is hitting 99.

It's a quad core CPU. He's probably referring to the temps of core 1 and core 3 since they're separated out most of the time. 

My guess is a bad temperature sensor. There are ways to force the bios or OS to work around this I believe, but I'm not personally familiar with them. 

Can you post a print screen of realtemp? (that's a program just to be clear)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Check temps from the bios. Maybe HW Monitor readings are wrong.

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

There is thermal paste on the CPU and the air coming out of it is warmer than surrounding air.

I am using a tower heatsink with 3 heat pipes and a single fan in the middle. It's an AVC cooler.

I checked MSI afterburner which said al 8 threats and the package were below 40 degrees celsius at idle. So I'm not sure if the temperature sensor is broken.

I did also check the bios for any fan options but it doesn't seem to have any.

39 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Can you post a print screen of realtemp? (that's a program just to be clear)

temps.png

19 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Where are you seeing 99 degrees?

I just realized those temps are not the CPU but for the motherboard chipset... :/ that's kinda stupid. my motherboard doesn't have a heat sensor at that spot so it shows 99 Degrees. but if the temperature isn't the problem for the fan maxing out what could it be?o.O Maybe the 4-pin fan header is broken? ( changing fan speed in SpeedFan doesn't do anything either. both with and without automatic fan speed turned on.)

temps2.png