I think I might have messed up on my build.

Go to solution Solved by typographie,

The video device that you plug your monitor into will be the device that renders to that monitor. If you have a video card and you mean to use it for gaming, you must plug your monitor into that card. If you plug it into your motherboard, you'd be using the CPU's integrated video hardware, which is mostly unsuitable for gaming.

For future reference, it's fairly easy to find adapters for most monitor ports. As long as you are going from one type of digital connection to another, a simple DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort adapter can be found for $5 or so. Your video card may even have come with one in the box. It gets a little more complicated if you need to go from analog (VGA) to digital, but adapters exist for that as well.

My mobo does not have an HDMI port, or any other port that I can plug into my monitor. Upon further investigation it seems some people actually plug the HDMI cable from the monitor directly into the graphics card? My card does have an HDMI port, but I'm still unclear as to whether or not I can plug it in there. Any help would be great.

If you have a graphics card then yes, connect the monitor to that.

very strange your motherboard doesn't have a hdmi port, what motherboard is it?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

If you have a graphics card then yes, connect the monitor to that.

very strange your motherboard doesn't have a hdmi port, what motherboard is it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/LygPxr/msi-h110m-pro-vd-plus-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-h110m-pro-vd-plus

Could have sworn that I had an HDMI port when I bought it, but alas, it doesn't. I'm guessing maybe because it's a budget mobo, or maybe they intended for people to plug it into the card? I don't know. So, just for clarification, once all my parts have been shipped to me, (assuming everything works) I should be able to just plug it into the card and I can start setting up the pc?

No HDMI port on that board.
But it should go into your GPU.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

The video device that you plug your monitor into will be the device that renders to that monitor. If you have a video card and you mean to use it for gaming, you must plug your monitor into that card. If you plug it into your motherboard, you'd be using the CPU's integrated video hardware, which is mostly unsuitable for gaming.

For future reference, it's fairly easy to find adapters for most monitor ports. As long as you are going from one type of digital connection to another, a simple DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort adapter can be found for $5 or so. Your video card may even have come with one in the box. It gets a little more complicated if you need to go from analog (VGA) to digital, but adapters exist for that as well.

Why wouldn't you connect your display to your GPU? Unless the build is for a verry specific pupose, that is the intended use of the GPU. The GPU is the thing that you wan't generating the image on the screen, thats why you have one.

EDIT:

3 minutes ago, typographie said:

Didn't see this post, he's right.

Edited by TheNuzziNuzz

Computers r fun

6 minutes ago, typographie said:

Alright, thanks a lot for the help :)

There are also VGA to HDMI conversion cables if you needed to run the iGPU. 

Its kinda funny, if your mobo had hdmi, you would be conecting your monitor to it, meaning you GPU would be doing nothing.

It would be like buying 300$ headphones and using the speakers

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.