960 Evo or 960 Pro?

WhiteSkyMage
Go to solution Solved by steffeeh,

Speedwise you're better off with NVMe-SSD's, but you won't notice any real life difference unless you do very specific tasks.

The main reason with 850 Pro is it's lifespan and longer warranty.

Whenever anyone ask me how large SSD they should get I always ask them to look up how much space Windows + all the installed programs (or at least all the installed programs they want to have on the SSD) take up, then maybe add some extra headroom, and then decide on the SSD size accordingly. It may sometimes seem expensive, but ask yourself how long it will take before you actually upgrade to a larger one. If you feel it won't take that long, then why not just grab a large one right from the beginning?

Unless you have a tighter budget at the moment and can't afford waiting, of course.

But even then it may be worth taking a leap of faith and "waste" some money on a larger SSD. When I built my PC last winter I grabbed a 240 GB SSD, but look at me now less than a year later, I'm rocking a 1 TB SSD, and it feels like the best upgrade I've done to the PC so far, and I regret not getting one that size from the start.

Is the Pro worth the extra $80?

What size would you recommend for OS (W10) + Star Citizen (and maybe some other slow game). What is the best value for size? - 500gb okay?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Speed-wise, maybe. But in real world you wouldn't notice a difference so probably not.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

250gb is enough for Win10 and a few games imo, but if you have the money for a 500gb go ahead, sooner or later you will fill it :)

Speedwise you're better off with NVMe-SSD's, but you won't notice any real life difference unless you do very specific tasks.

Whenever anyone ask me how large SSD they should get I always ask them to look up how much space Windows + all the installed programs (or at least all the installed programs they want to have on the SSD) take up, then maybe add some extra headroom, and then decide on the SSD size accordingly. It may sometimes seem expensive, but ask yourself how long it will take before you actually upgrade to a larger one. If you feel it won't take that long, then why not just grab a large one right from the beginning?

Unless you have a tighter budget at the moment and can't afford waiting, of course.

But even then it may be worth taking a leap of faith and "waste" some money on a larger SSD. When I built my PC last winter I grabbed a 240 GB SSD, but look at me now less than a year later, I'm rocking a 1 TB SSD, and it feels like the best upgrade I've done to the PC so far, and I regret not getting one that size from the start.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

2 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

250gb is enough for Win10 and a few games imo, but if you have the money for a 500gb go ahead, sooner or later you will fill it :)

Well, here is the thing - video editing fills up my 128GB 850 Pro quite quickly, and I wanna put some game engines, and other development software. Right now they are on my hard drive and work kinda slow... so... 250 is meh really.

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

2 minutes ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

Well, here is the thing - video editing fills up my 128GB 850 Pro quite quickly, and I wanna put some game engines, and other development software. Right now they are on my hard drive and work kinda slow... so... 250 is meh really.

If that's the case then ditch the Pro and focus on a larger Evo.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

4 minutes ago, steffeeh said:

Yeah, well then i guess ima go for an EVO 500GB and next year, once prices fall, I might get a 2TB Sata SSD and be done with the good old HDDs. :)