Will 2666mhz DDR4 hurt an i7 6700k? Other Questions Inside.

Hey Guys,

I am building my first PC soon and had some questions. The other day, I bought 16gb of Corsair LPX RAM clocked at 2666mhz. I have now found out that my the max supported speed for the i7 6700k (my CPU) is 2133mhz. I am using an ASUS Z170 AR Motherboard. I was wondering if this RAM speed will harm my CPU in any way. If necessary, I am willing to turn on XMP, however, I don't really mind if it is turned off since 2133mhz is pretty fast itself. Are there any harms of not turning on XMP to any of my components? Will my RAM automatically run at 2133mhz?

Also, will it be necessary to overclock my CPU to support this RAM? I want to stay away from this right now, but I might consider it in the future if I need it.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help!

2133mhz for your CPU is meant to be a spec for what their CPU's are stable at I believe, but doesn't mean it wont work at 2666mhz, stably.

As for your RAM it will definitely work and is supported by your motherboard, but you may need to set its speed in the BIOS.

Also, it wont hurt your CPU and it is not necessary to overclock.

You have Z170 motherboard which supports high speed RAM. That has almost nothing to do with CPU.

it'll work just fine. 2133mhz is the speed your cpu can support natively . Just enable XMP in your bios and you're golden.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

20 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

You have Z170 motherboard which supports high speed RAM. That has almost nothing to do with CPU.

Wouldn't XMP profiles automatically overclock the CPU?

23 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

it'll work just fine. 2133mhz is the speed your cpu can support natively . Just enable XMP in your bios and you're golden.

I am using a Hyper 212 EVO, and I believe that XMP would auto automatically overclock my CPU. Can the 212 EVO handle it?

4 minutes ago, AnshJ said:

I am using a Hyper 212 EVO, and I believe that XMP would auto automatically overclock my CPU. Can the 212 EVO handle it?

no xmp is a profile set by the ram manufacturer for the max speed they expect your ram to run at that's it.  Also yes the 212 evo can do some overclocking.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

11 minutes ago, AnshJ said:

Wouldn't XMP profiles automatically overclock the CPU?

No, RAM will run on its speed and CPU will run at stock until you overclock it

Just now, frozeNNN said:

No, RAM will run on its speed and CPU will run at stock until you overclock it

Awesome! Last question: If I do not enable XMP initially, would the motherboard lower the ram speed to what is compatible with all of the components?

9 minutes ago, AnshJ said:

XMP doesn't overclock your cpu . And yes , the 212 evo is a fairly decent cooler.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

16 hours ago, AnshJ said:

Awesome! Last question: If I do not enable XMP initially, would the motherboard lower the ram speed to what is compatible with all of the components?

RAM can be compatible only with motherboard,not other components