May push+pull improve performance/noise ratio on Noctua NH-U14S?

steffeeh

Reading the internet, you get the impression that people agree for most cases that push+pull doesn't have that much of a benefit in total cooling performance (i.e max fan speeds) unless you do a more specific type of cooling.

But let's not talk about cooling performance by itself with push+pull.
What I'm more curious about is if it's possible to keep the same amount of airflow while reducing the RPM and therefore part of the noise when adding a second fan to the heatsink.

I have a Noctua NH-U14S with the fan set to push and while it's a great cooler, I'm a bit of a silent computing freak and always strive for quieter results, hence why I've started to become curious about adding a second fan to the heatsik, just to make it a little bit quieter. 
At the moment the fan sit at around 600-700 RPM when I'm doing light tasks, so it's around these RPM's where talking about.

So how much would the noise go down if I were to add a second Noctua fan on the heatsink as pull and cut down the RPM to get somewhat equivalent airflow?

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

Yes in general, push/pull at low rpm is quieter and gets better performance than running 1 fan at higher rpm. I've always done it and am pleased with the results.

That said, a pwm fan with a very wide rpm range (400-2500~) may be quieter at idle (since it's 1 fan) ands give you pretty good cooling performance when you ramp up its speed.

How much depends on the fans, I just changed the fans on my tt frio (the original version) with 2x corsair ml120s and the lower noise level is close to inaudible. But I could of used one since at idle the heatsink in my use case can run passive. Test some scenarios see what works, 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Did you say push pull?

Push pull will not change the amount of air flowing through the heatsink so I do not think you will gain anything. If anything at lower rpm you will get less cooling.

I can get my Noctua fans down to 350rpm only on my CPU fan header; and the temperature is within operating spec. The system fan header only goes down as low as 500-600rpm. Maybe you can lower your fans by changing the header they are on and still stay within spec?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I can get my heatsink fan down to 200 RPM if I want to, though I've found a sweetspot for myself at 500-600 RPM when idle to keep it nice and cool without a ton of noise. But again, I'm always striving for improved silence, and are willing to try getting another CPU fan as pull of odds are good.

As for the video: HOLY SH!T

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

sure, it should help. With one single fan "forcing" air through the fins, due to the resistance of the fins and no matter the static pressure rating of the fan - there will always be some "backlash" / turbulence/ air not going through the fins, which creates noise against the fins. With a second fan aiding the first one, this effort is reduced. By itself, this means increased airflow or same airflow with lower RPM. How noticeable these improvements will be in the real world or whether the noise of the additional fan will outweigh the benefits - no idea. TBO, try it and in the worst case, you got yourself an additional high quality fan :D

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

I actually have U14S with push/pull config. The drop in temps isn't massive. Its about 5C with max temps. Idle and normal/gaming load are about same. There isn't noticable change in noise. But that might be more because of the way PWM controls of my board works. I'm using Speedfan and have set max speed for CPU fans to 80%. At low loads and idle 2nd fan isn't spinning. It kicks in when temps go over 55C or so.

Noctua, unlike some cheaper coolers, has even made their rubber mounts so that you have bit more free space between 2nd fan and heatsink.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv