Help with a future build.

I plan on building a mITX gaming/3D Modeling rig sometime in the future. My price range is around the $1200.

Building a full ATX would be a more ideal build but I'm not a fan of having a full tower or half tower.

I would like to have a small form factor build that I can take with me when I go visit my pals who live out of town.

I do plan on going to school next year for simulation and game development and a small rig is what I'm looking for.

My current and only computer I have is a 3-4 year old Asus g73jw ROG series 17.3 inch laptop and the age is getting the better of it.

I don't plan on doing any over clocking on the build until i know i can do so safely and properly. Information, tips,and recommendations for parts is what I'm looking for. I have a spec list but I'm having a issue of constantly changing the list and I would like to get other people's opinions who have better knowledge of hardware than I do.

SPECS:

Motherboard: Asus p8z77-i deluxe

CPU: Intel i5 3570k

Cooler: xigmatek dark knight II

RAM G.skill ares 16gb 1866mhz

GPU: EVGA 660Ti superclocked 3GB

SSD: (can't decide)

HHD: Seagate barracuda 7200rpm 1TB

PSU: OCZ ZT series 650W 80 plus bronze Full modular.

Case: Fractal design Node 304

If you think there are any compatibility issues or any recommendations I would like to know. I would like to turn my ever changing list into a set goal.

The build seems solid. If there is anything I would change about this build would be the psu I would use a Silverstone Tek 450-watt.

Project Restomod (In progress)

What would be a ideal Full modular 550W?
Silverstone Strider Plus - $100

After looking at the Fractal Design node 304 it looks like there would be some issues with the gpu conflicting with the psu connectors. What are some small form factor cases that would have room for cable management and still provide good airflow?

After looking at the Fractal Design node 304 it looks like there would be some issues with the gpu conflicting with the psu connectors. What are some small form factor cases that would have room for cable management and still provide good airflow?
Bitfenix Prodigy hands down

Project Restomod (In progress)

I'm sorry to say but I disagree with everyone above D:

If you don't plan on overclocking then choosing a Z77 Board is pointless. If you're actually going to overclock, then as I say to everyone I highly recommend ASRock Motherboards, and you can pick up an ASRock Z77 for around $100-125. But if you don't think you will you're better of going with something like a Gigabyte-B75 Mobo. You don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler for an i5, your standard Intel cooler will be fine, but if you really wan't one go with a Hyper 212 Evo. Can't argue with a 660 Ti, however 2GB>3GB. Unless you plan to multi monitor there's no reason why you should need 3GB's.

SSD's. Either an Intel 330 Series SSD, which is reliable and good performance as well as affordable. Or if you're wanting something a little better Corsair Force GT/Neutron GTX. WD/Seagate doesn't matter.

wi

No to that OCZ PSU. I tend to stick away from brands like OCZ, generally unreliable and you'll be disappointed. 600W's is enough. Corsair CX(Builder Series) 600W will be fine however for gaming I recommend either a Seasonic 620W (Modular) or a Corsair TX 650W.

Cases, there aren't really any small cases. Especially not any cases that will be practical for what you're wanting to do. I also tend to stick away from unknown brands as they tend not to offer money back and are generally unreliable. Corsair 200r is the perfect case for your use and is cheap as well.

I'm sorry to say but I disagree with everyone above D:

If you don't plan on overclocking then choosing a Z77 Board is pointless. If you're actually going to overclock, then as I say to everyone I highly recommend ASRock Motherboards, and you can pick up an ASRock Z77 for around $100-125. But if you don't think you will you're better of going with something like a Gigabyte-B75 Mobo. You don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler for an i5, your standard Intel cooler will be fine, but if you really wan't one go with a Hyper 212 Evo. Can't argue with a 660 Ti, however 2GB>3GB. Unless you plan to multi monitor there's no reason why you should need 3GB's.

SSD's. Either an Intel 330 Series SSD, which is reliable and good performance as well as affordable. Or if you're wanting something a little better Corsair Force GT/Neutron GTX. WD/Seagate doesn't matter.

wi

No to that OCZ PSU. I tend to stick away from brands like OCZ, generally unreliable and you'll be disappointed. 600W's is enough. Corsair CX(Builder Series) 600W will be fine however for gaming I recommend either a Seasonic 620W (Modular) or a Corsair TX 650W.

Cases, there aren't really any small cases. Especially not any cases that will be practical for what you're wanting to do. I also tend to stick away from unknown brands as they tend not to offer money back and are generally unreliable. Corsair 200r is the perfect case for your use and is cheap as well.

If you'd read what he wrote then you would notice that he isn't going to overclock until he knows what he's doing. Not 'he isn't going to'

Uh, thanks for your comment, but if I didn't read what he wrote how would I of known what to comment? So you can take that back please :) I didn't say he "wasn't going to" what I said was that for the moment if he just "Thinks" He'll overclock, then I wouldn't spend that extra money on a Z77 Board until he's definitely sure he will. After all he could say he'll try and learn to overclock now, but in the future when it comes to it he might decide against it, therefore would of been a little money he could of saved.

Uh, thanks for your comment, but if I didn't read what he wrote how would I of known what to comment? So you can take that back please :) I didn't say he "wasn't going to" what I said was that for the moment if he just "Thinks" He'll overclock, then I wouldn't spend that extra money on a Z77 Board until he's definitely sure he will. After all he could say he'll try and learn to overclock now, but in the future when it comes to it he might decide against it, therefore would of been a little money he could of saved.
Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on over clocking but that is for later on in the future until i can afford a water cooling solution. heatsink>prebuilt water cooling>custom water cooling. I am stuck at a $1200 build and i'm not sure I could stick a prebuilt water cooler within the budget.

What brand of 660 Ti 2gb would be better when it comes to performance and reliability?

When it comes to cases I am really picky about size. I'm not looking for anything bigger than a mATX case.

I am not familiar with computer hardware so feedback like this is much appreciated. It is much better than watching a video or reading a review about a piece of hardware.

I felt exactly the same when I was first interested in Tech, so it's a pleasure to help someone if I can.

Doesn't particularly matter what brand I guess, They're all reliable. I always prefer EVGA due to their money back guarantees. However any 660Ti will be good.

As for cases, there isn't any real "small" cases, even small-ish, that's what Laptops are for. However I know you'll find something that you like :)

One thing I have to say is though.. I honestly wouldn't get involved in custom water cooling, especially for a build such as yours. Such a hassle and can be quite expensive.

I'd look firstly at MSI - great cooling solution and noise is quiet. Asus are also good but i've heard recent complaints from a couple of people about the noise from them. Gigabyte ones in my experience have major issues with coil whine as do occasionally EVGA but that's more of a hit and miss thing; you may get lucky, you may not.

Oh I see, which is another reason why I like EVGA because of their money back guarantees on faulty products, and EVGA GTX GPU's also run cooler due to their blow intake Fans which push air out the back, but either make is good, doesn't really matter I guess.