Is this camera good for the price and will this mem card fit?

i dont know anything about cameras yet so idk what to look for but... can i use this camera for pictures or only video? and can i use it as a webcam if i wanted to? i mainly look for a cheap and good camera as a webcam i can also use to take pics of pc my pc mods and stuff and maybe occasionaly bring to events and stuff and this camera and memcard is the only one on sale for better than -30%. 

this camera on sale for -70% 
https://www.prisguide.no/produkt/panasonic-hc-w570-228467

this memcard on sale 50% 
https://www.prisguide.no/produkt/sandisk-sdxc-extreme-256gb-223609

Is it a good price? Based on conversions, yes I would say that it is. :)

Will that memory card work? Most likely, yes. Most devices that work with a 64 GB card will also work with a 256 GB card, not all, but most. :D

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

2 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Is it a good price? Based on conversions, yes I would say that it is. :)

Will that memory card work? Most likely, yes. Most devices that work with a 64 GB card will also work with a 256 GB card, not all, but most. :D

what i got confused at is that the card says sdxc so i didnt know if that ment a different formfactor or something than normal sd card

Just now, MoDRun said:

what i got confused at is that the card says sdxc so i didnt know if that ment a different formfactor or something than normal sd card

Physically the card is the same as any other SD card. Internally, an SDXC card uses different ways of communicating than SDHC, I don't know the specifics, but data tables/chunck sizes/cache sizes/other tech terms are different. That's why I say most devices that work with a 64 GB card (which is SDXC) will work with 256, but they might not say they do because there weren't any 256 GB cards released when that camera's promotional material was made. 

This is the same reason why some smartphones say they can support an SD card up to 2 TB when no such cards exist yet, because SDXC can support up to 2 TB and those devices support SDXC. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

1 minute ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Physically the card is the same as any other SD card. Internally, an SDXC card uses different ways of communicating than SDHC, I don't know the specifics, but data tables/chunck sizes/cache sizes/other tech terms are different. That's why I say most devices that work with a 64 GB card (which is SDXC) will work with 256, but they might not say they do because there weren't any 256 GB cards released when that camera's promotional material was made. 

This is the same reason why some smartphones say they can support an SD card up to 2 TB when no such cards exist yet, because SDXC can support up to 2 TB and those devices support SDXC. 

ok guess that might be enough info for me to just buy it then... i guess a 600$ camera&250gb memcard for 200$ is pretty good :3

still dont know if i can use this as a webcam though? i assume id need some sort of cable and box or something also

3 minutes ago, MoDRun said:

ok guess that might be enough info for me to just buy it then... i guess a 600$ camera&250gb memcard for 200$ is pretty good :3

still dont know if i can use this as a webcam though? i assume id need some sort of cable and box or something also

Most cameras can do that, but it's often an obscure feature not documented well. 

4 hours ago, MoDRun said:

4 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Make sure the camera can support the memory card, some cameras (especially older models) have a limit to what class and capacity of memory cards they support.

Some camcorders come with software that will let the owner use it as a webcam with a USB connection, others do not and will require the use of a capture card.  If you want a webcam, buy a webcam.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Make sure the camera can support the memory card, some cameras (especially older models) have a limit to what class and capacity of memory cards they support.

Some camcorders come with software that will let the owner use it as a webcam with a USB connection, others do not and will require the use of a capture card.  If you want a webcam, buy a webcam.

i alredy have the c920 or whatever but its not good enough tbh. just blurry and stuff.

also i have no idea how to check if this can hold the mem card?

17 minutes ago, MoDRun said:

i alredy have the c920 or whatever but its not good enough tbh. just blurry and stuff.

also i have no idea how to check if this can hold the mem card?

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/camcorder/om/hc-w570_adv_en_om.pdf

According to this manual you can use up to 64GB SDXC card maximum.  With a camcorder like this you will get a few hours of recording on that card.

As for the webcam, check if the camera comes with a software that will let you use it as a webcam or you will need to buy a capture card.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/camcorder/om/hc-w570_adv_en_om.pdf

According to this manual you can use up to 64GB SDXC card maximum.  With a camcorder like this you will get a few hours of recording on that card.

As for the webcam, check if the camera comes with a software that will let you use it as a webcam or you will need to buy a capture card.

kk thanks guess ill buy the cam and not the mem card then

10 hours ago, MoDRun said:

kk thanks guess ill buy the cam and not the mem card then

@AkiraDaarkst I am 99% sure that it will support 256 GB. If it supports 64 GB then it supports SDXC, so there's no reason it shouldn't support 256 GB too. As I said earlier, the documentation likely says it can only support 64 GB because there were no 256 GB cards when the camera was released, or they were too expensive for the consumers this camera targeted. 

1 minute ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

@AkiraDaarkst I am 99% sure that it will support 256 GB. If it supports 64 GB then it supports SDXC, so there's no reason it shouldn't support 256 GB too. As I said earlier, the documentation likely says it can only support 64 GB because there were no 256 GB cards when the camera was released, or they were too expensive for the consumers this camera targeted. 

oke ty again lol 

41 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I have experience with various camcorders that supports SDXC memory cards, and it is safer to get the capacities that are supported as written in the manual.  Now there will be an exception of cameras that may support higher capacities than stated, but it is not always the case.  I have identical class of SD cards from the same brand with the only difference being the capacities.  I've had set up cameras that recognized and were able to use the lower capacity cards while the larger capacity cards were not recognized at all.

EDIT: If the camera used CF, CFast or XQD cards, I would say that support for higher capacities than stated is possible... with SD cards, it's better to follow what is written in the manual.

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I have experience with various camcorders that supports SDXC memory cards, and it is safer to get the capacities that are supported as written in the manual.  Now there will be an exception of cameras that may support higher capacities than stated, but it is not always the case.  I have identical class of SD cards from the same brand with the only difference being the capacities.  I've had set up cameras that recognized and were able to use the lower capacity cards while the larger capacity cards were not recognized at all.

That's a good point. I still think it would work in this case, since that camera has no good reason to not support it. We should test this hypothesis and see who's right! This could even make a good video for LTT... :D

11 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

That's a good point. I still think it would work in this case, since that camera has no good reason to not support it. We should test this hypothesis and see who's right! This could even make a good video for LTT... :D

There's no need for the noobs at LTT to test anything, unless they work full time in video production and have a ton of experience with different types of cameras, I would take anything they say with a giant grain of salt.

And there's also another reason for not getting a super high capacity memory card: all eggs in one basket.  If that memory card fails, expect all data to be lost.  Better to get a bunch of lower capacity cards and spread the recordings across multiple cards, because the chances of all the cards developing a fault is a lot less than one single card failing.

28 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

There's no need for the noobs at LTT to test anything, unless they work full time in video production and have a ton of experience with different types of cameras, I would take anything they say with a giant grain of salt.

And there's also another reason for not getting a super high capacity memory card: all eggs in one basket.  If that memory card fails, expect all data to be lost.  Better to get a bunch of lower capacity cards and spread the recordings across multiple cards, because the chances of all the cards developing a fault is a lot less than one single card failing.

That's also true! But it can be convenient, and I think the card was on sale for black friday! :P