Which PSU to pick?

Quick question for this year's Black Friday. Corsair HX850i or RM850i when they both cost the same? One's a bit older and i don't know if that makes any meaningful difference (though i don't think it does). I'd tend to go for the HX850i.

Also on a side note: The Define C states a 175mm PSU compatibility. Will the Corsair line-up with 180mm length present a problem(cause it all looks pretty tight with that hdd rack there)?

I think the HX850i has some better components. Mind you the new HXi series is not the same as the older HX. 

6 minutes ago, kyuubi654 said:

Quick question for this year's Black Friday. Corsair HX850i or RM850i when they both cost the same? One's a bit older and i don't know if that makes any meaningful difference (though i don't think it does). I'd tend to go for the HX850i.

Also on a side note: The Define C states a 175mm PSU compatibility. Will the Corsair line-up with 180mm length present a problem(cause it all looks pretty tight with that hdd rack there)?

The 175MM compatibility is best to stick to to use the cable management grommets and such that the chassis offers. I'd get an EVGA GS or Seasonic G-series. Both are worse but cost less. Alternatively you could get an EVGA G3.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

@ForsakenLiveI've only looked at the HXi line-up. Not familiar at all with the older HX.

Oh right, the cables bothered me a bit on the HXi. No sleeving, all ribboned. Might stick with the RM850i cause of that. And maybe i'm a bit too hung up on the Link feature of the PSU...

@STRMfrmXMN Was looking at the G2 before i ended up on Corsair. Saw the G3 reviewed, wanted it but nobody has it -.- Not sure if it's just Germany that's lagging behind. Also, G3 is 150mm long.. nice *.*

2 minutes ago, kyuubi654 said:

@ForsakenLiveI've only looked at the HXi line-up. Not familiar at all with the older HX.

Oh right, the cables bothered me a bit on the HXi. No sleeving, all ribboned. Might stick with the RM850i cause of that. And maybe i'm a bit too hung up on the Link feature of the PSU...

@STRMfrmXMN Was looking at the G2 before i ended up on Corsair. Saw the G3 reviewed, wanted it but nobody has it -.- Not sure if it's just Germany that's lagging behind. Also, G3 is 150mm long.. nice *.*

I suggested the EVGA GS, btw. That's rather short.

BTW, what are you powering where 850W is something you're considering?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

G2 is like 140 euro compared to the 150 of both Corsairs.

Maybe i don't even need a 850W PSU in the first place? I'm starting to second-guess myself now. One more question then: 6800K on AIO + 1070 on Air plus some SSDs and maybe one HDD. 850 overkill? Was going for the sweetspot efficiency-wise and those would hit a 350 to 400 something, so right in the middle.

Mind you, i started out at 650 ^^ Then paranoia took over. Also, OCing is a given on both of them, maybe not full time, but definitely there.

1 minute ago, kyuubi654 said:

G2 is like 140 euro compared to the 150 of both Corsairs.

Maybe i don't even need a 850W PSU in the first place? I'm starting to second-guess myself now. One more question then: 6800K on AIO + 1070 on Air plus some SSDs and maybe one HDD. 850 overkill? Was going for the sweetspot efficiency-wise and those would hit a 350 to 400 something, so right in the middle.

Going for efficiency doesn't really work like that though. A 1070 and 6800k will use like 350W together with overclocking so I'd get a 650W and be fine.

And this is where my dilemma started.. lower wattage PSUs have only one EPS cable (the 8 pin). The x99 Strix has both an 8 pin and a 4 pin. Don't wanna use any adapters or anything like that.

Ah.. there we go. Step up to 750W and EVGA has 2 EPS cables. Corsair didn't doesn't -.-

2 minutes ago, kyuubi654 said:

And this is where my dilemma started.. lower wattage PSUs have only one EPS cable (the 8 pin). The x99 Strix has both an 8 pin and a 4 pin. Don't wanna use any adapters or anything like that.

You don't need to use the extra 4-pin. It's only necessary for something like LN2 overclocking. Nonetheless I do believe any decent quality 650W unit will have 2*8 pin connections for motherboards. My 550W EVGA GS has a dual 8 pin connection.

Right, extreme OCers. Forgot about those. Then i over complicated as i usually tend to do :)

Thanks for pulling me out of the quicksand. Still annoyed by the lack of G3 on the market though...