CPU light on

7 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

So I just built my first PC and here is my list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wZCMFd The CPU light is on and i think it is because of the water cooler fans not being pliugged in the right places. Your help is much appreciated.

What CPU light?

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

What CPU light?

There's typically now a debugging LED for components that light up if theres a possible issue.

10 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

So I just built my first PC and here is my list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wZCMFd The CPU light is on and i think it is because of the water cooler fans not being pliugged in the right places. Your help is much appreciated.

Check the CPU power, it's a 4 or 8 pin connector on the motherboard.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

4 minutes ago, MarieKirya said:

There's typically now a debugging LED for components that light up if theres a possible issue.

Check the CPU power, it's a 4 or 8 pin connector on the motherboard.

Its a 8 pin and I checked it and I still get the CPU led on 

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

that motherboard also has a little Dr.debug screen on the bottom. can you see what code it's displaying?

There is no Dr.Debug on the asus z170-a

Where on the motherboard am I suppose to plug the CPU fans in? Its the NZXT Kracken z61 water cooler

Just now, safarihunter said:

Where on the motherboard am I suppose to plug the CPU fans in? Its the NZXT Kracken z61 water cooler

Check your manual, it should say there ;)

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

Well, a CPU fan wouldn't prevent POST. It would either immediately shut down or ask you in the BIOS to check the CPU Fan. If the 8pin and 24pin are all snug, make sure the CPU is oriented properly. The problem is possibly elsewhere.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

2 minutes ago, MarieKirya said:

Well, a CPU fan wouldn't prevent POST. It would either immediately shut down or ask you in the BIOS to check the CPU Fan. If the 8pin and 24pin are all snug, make sure the CPU is oriented properly. The problem is possibly elsewhere.

I checked the CPU orientation and its good but i have no display on the monitor when I start up so im guessing that it is something like the computer isn't starting up because the CPU fans aren't being recognized in the right slots. The case fans do spin and the CPU cooler and fans are working but its just not giving display

2 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

I checked the CPU orientation and its good but i have no display on the monitor when I start up so im guessing that it is something like the computer isn't starting up because the CPU fans aren't being recognized in the right slots. The case fans do spin and the CPU cooler and fans are working but its just not giving display

Does your GPU have power? Does the integrated GPU show anything?

1 minute ago, MarieKirya said:

Does your GPU have power? Does the integrated GPU show anything?

When i had my GPU installed it had power but I then took it out since i thought that the GPU and integrated graphics might be having issues but the same problem remains and I am getting no display

9 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

When i had my GPU installed it had power but I then took it out since i thought that the GPU and integrated graphics might be having issues but the same problem remains and I am getting no display

Things get a lot more complicated now. I'd check:
- Standoffs aren't shorting anything on the other side. (Test the motherboard outside the case)

- Various RAM configurations. (One at a time)

- Use only Minimal Viable devices. (CPU/RAM only, video out, and a keyboard.)

6 minutes ago, MarieKirya said:

Things get a lot more complicated now. I'd check:
- Standoffs aren't shorting anything on the other side. (Test the motherboard outside the case)

- Various RAM configurations. (One at a time)

- Use only Minimal Viable devices. (CPU/RAM only, video out, and a keyboard.)

How do i test it outside of the case withught a risk of static electricity

8 minutes ago, safarihunter said:

How do i test it outside of the case withught a risk of static electricity

Put it on the motherboard box. Don't wear a fleece sweater. Touch something metal if you're worried. It's not that big of a risk.

5 minutes ago, MarieKirya said:

Put it on the motherboard box. Don't wear a fleece sweater. Touch something metal if you're worried. It's not that big of a risk.

Ok thanks, so i just figured out the right place for the water cooler fans and still the light so i now know it has nothing to do with the water cooler