How to preset g-sync for certain games

tohico
Go to solution Solved by tohico,
26 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it tends to be a bit fishy with what overrides what, for example if you have vsync enabled in game it *may* override this setting, this setting *may* override the ingame setting, etc :P

it'll work, you just need to apply more voodoo :D

Perfect, got it! With a different setting though.

The adaptive setting didn't work on any games and no matter the ingame vsync setting either, but there's still something I missed before. There's one other setting for this. Monitor Technology - it allows me to preset it to G-SYNC, ULMB and the good old fixed rate. And this setting works perfectly.

Thank you for your help, it helped me to dig deeper and find the right setting for this :)

Hey guys,

I have a monitor with g-sync and I've been wondering... How the hell do I use this feature comfortably?

The deal is that I don't want to leave it on all the time - there are games I don't want to use it with, and there are games that won't even start with g-sync on for whatever reason (csgo). Therefore the g-sync is always off for me unless I go to play a game that I want the g-sync to use with. But turning it on thought the Nvidia Control Panel is just taking too many steps and time to use this comfortably... I was expecting to set the g-sync up in games, or it'd be just tied to the vsync setting. Or I could at least preset it to certain games though the Nvidia Control Panel or through the Nvidia Geforce Experience. But no, I didn't find such thing anywhere. This just seems all thoughtless... Am I missing something?

Is there any way to preset g-sync for certain games so it automatically turns on when I start the game and turns off when I close the game?

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

As far as i'm aware g-sync doesn't turn on unless a supported application is launched, games, benchmarks, etc.

I don't think it turns on for general use, browsers, etc.

For games you don't want it active in, use geforce experience and disable it per game, may have to scan your drives first though.

in the nvidia control panel you can set options for specific games, if your game of choice isnt in the (usually pretty accurate) prepared list, just browse for the executable.

you just add the profile for the game, and change anything you want to be different from default (this is also where you can for example force anti aliasing on things that do not internally support it, etc.) and leave everything else at default.

now.. since my windows install is *still* on dutch, i'm gonna be off with the naming of things, so i'll just point :P

- you open the control panel

- there's a bunch of options on the left, a block of "3D settings" a block of display settings, and some more crap.

- the block of "3D settings" has 3 blue link-like things in it, the second one is the one you need (it's simething like "configure 3D settings"

- this brings you to a page with settings, and at the top of the settings there's two tabs, the "generic settings" and the "program settings"

- the tab "program settings" is what allows you to enforce settings for specific applications.

EDIT: should add, gsync is under the vsync settings, as "adaptive" IIRC.

4 minutes ago, NovusBal said:

As far as i'm aware g-sync doesn't turn on unless a supported application is launched, games, benchmarks, etc.

I don't think it turns on for general use, browsers, etc.

For games you don't want it active in, use geforce experience and disable it per game, may have to scan your drives first though.

i think he wants it "disabled unless specified otherwise"

at which point he should do what you said, but the exact opposite :P

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

in the nvidia control panel you can set options for specific games, if your game of choice isnt in the (usually pretty accurate) prepared list, just browse for the executable.

you just add the profile for the game, and change anything you want to be different from default (this is also where you can for example force anti aliasing on things that do not internally support it, etc.) and leave everything else at default.

now.. since my windows install is *still* on dutch, i'm gonna be off with the naming of things, so i'll just point :P

- you open the control panel

- there's a bunch of options on the left, a block of "3D settings" a block of display settings, and some more crap.

- the block of "3D settings" has 3 blue link-like things in it, the second one is the one you need (it's simething like "configure 3D settings"

- this brings you to a page with settings, and at the top of the settings there's two tabs, the "generic settings" and the "program settings"

- the tab "program settings" is what allows you to enforce settings for specific applications.

EDIT: should add, gsync is under the vsync settings, as "adaptive" IIRC.

Yeah, I'm aware of this, but it didn't seem to work when I tried it. I wasn't sure whether this is the setting for g-sync, so I was trying it only with one game. Let me experiment with it on multiple games, I will report back :)

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

1 minute ago, tohico said:

Yeah, I'm aware of this, but it didn't seem to work when I tried it. I wasn't sure whether this is the setting for g-sync, so I was trying it only with one game. Let me experiment with it on multiple games, I will report back :)

it tends to be a bit fishy with what overrides what, for example if you have vsync enabled in game it *may* override this setting, this setting *may* override the ingame setting, etc :P

26 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Perfect, got it! With a different setting though.

The adaptive setting didn't work on any games and no matter the ingame vsync setting either, but there's still something I missed before. There's one other setting for this. Monitor Technology - it allows me to preset it to G-SYNC, ULMB and the good old fixed rate. And this setting works perfectly.

Thank you for your help, it helped me to dig deeper and find the right setting for this :)