Black Friday around the corner. . . this deal any good?

Jake Dalay

So I've been anticipating black friday savings for some time now, especially regarding my need/want for a TV in my new place/crappy apartment.

It's actually not so bad, good location for me, but utterly bereft of one thing: TV.

Currently, we're netflixing and xboxing and straining our eyes across the room at a 1080p dell 21.5" from God knows when.

Been looking at this (link below) deal that has been up on Newegg, but interested to hear what people think of the model and manufacturer—recently all the people I know with a TV have gone with Samsung.

Basic specs are 43" 4K display "smart" TV by LG, details in the link, for $299 USD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889007236&ignorebbr=1

Last screen the 'rents bought was not much larger, Samsung, same specs, but like damn near $900—so I haven't been following the market for some time.

So good deal or nah, jump on it or wait for black friday/cyber monday itself?

Use case is primarily netflix, and some old Xbox 360 use, and yes I know that these won't be able to make use of 4k resolution however I would like to think the screen would last long enough to replace with 4k ready inputs, and of course I can always connect my PC which is 4k ready (if not for every game, streaming media is no issue).

But I've gone on long enough.

Anyway, your input appreciated as always, and good luck with your black friday bargain hunting.

Edited by Jake Dalay
Classic forgot the link error. Fixed above.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

If you can get it cheaper why not wait for cyber monday? It's here within a week.

Right?

But will it/is it likely to go cheaper.

Last year, I begged my folks to wait for black friday deals (they purchased with like 3 weeks to go or something, cost them a few hundred extra) but this screen already being on sale, I'm concerned that it A - won't go lower, or B - I won't be able to grab one if it does go lower.

Thoughts? and thanks for the input.

9 minutes ago, Jake Dalay said:

Right?

But will it/is it likely to go cheaper.

Last year, I begged my folks to wait for black friday deals (they purchased with like 3 weeks to go or something, cost them a few hundred extra) but this screen already being on sale, I'm concerned that it A - won't go lower, or B - I won't be able to grab one if it does go lower.

Thoughts? and thanks for the input.

I'm not sure really. It's your choice. Buying things on sale is always a gamble. It could go lower later. Will it? Time knows.

For what it's worth, I made a similar gamble. I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-34UC98-34-Inch-Class-UltraWide/dp/B01BFH1AIM/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1479583480&sr=1-4&keywords=ultrawide+monitor

The New price is over £700. I found it as used (Amazon Warehouse) for £380, inc. a £50 off promotion for some unknown reason. In my situation, I know as a fact the new price will never be that low and if the used product (sold as in an "acceptable" condition - the lowest possible condition), was in an unusable condition, I can return it.

So consider buying it used. If you don't want to, feel free to buy it new. But know that inevitably you are taking a risk. It could go down later. It could also go up.

Fair advice, and may I ask how that purchase turned out for you? I very much like those monitors, but well beyond my budget (and until recently, beyond my deskspace!).

Hmm... For $299 it seems like a decent way to get 4k.

I took a look at some of the reviews.  A number of people were satisfied but those who were not reported pretty glaring issues.

TVs go on sale for cheap for a reason, usually because there is a newer model in the product line.  Though sometimes there is a minor defect(s).

If you pick this up, you should post a review of it.  @$300 it could interest me even if it isn't perfect. But if it's trash, I rather use that money to invest in a better product that's up to triple the cost.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend going +$900 on a screen, when resolution, technology, and inputs change so rapidly. Every time my folks have snapped up a TV, they have done it at right around the 1k mark, usually at $899. Then invariably the same or a slightly improved model is ~$200 cheaper within a few months. Whereas if the simply spent a little less, they could upgrade more frequently, and not be gouged by price drops quite so much.

I am very much thinking about picking up this screen because our needs and its capabilities are fairly well aligned. Could you expound upon what negatives you found others had mentioned, I have seen some myself really just wondering what stood out to you the most?