Anyone working at a computer store? I need some advice.

RealGamer
On 11/19/2016 at 2:07 AM, RealGamer said:

I had interviewed to be a part time worker in a local retail store (in Malaysia by the way).

I am fairly confident about my knowledge towards CPUs,Graphic Cards, Ram and Motherboards, thanks to LinusTechTips, Salazar Studio (Science Studio), JayzTwoCent and you guys.

But what caught me off guard is during the interview, I was tasked to promote something that is out of my league (Mice,Keyboards and LED Strips, not into that kind of stuff, so I don't really do research on that topic), and I barely make it.

It makes me wonder, what if a customer asked me something and I can't answer??

Anyone dealt with this kind of situation before????

If yes, please share it with me how you guys deal with this matter.

I hope to learn something from you guys and give the people in the shop a good impression.

Many Thanks.

I work at staples, and something they push and all coworkers support is that if you don't know enough about something, or don't know how to do something, that's perfectly fine; just call over a co-worker you know does know about it or who can help you (of course telling the customer "Sorry, I don't know enough about this, let me ask [name] who knows all about [item/service]), and then observe to teach yourself. With the goal being eventually you no longer need to ask your co-workers, and you are the one who can help every time.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Most newbies in retail start off knowing little about the store/products.  Over time (and reading product packaging and reviews) you will learn.

sold

2 hours ago, Equilibrium_FOOL said:

Most newbies in retail start off knowing little about the store/products.  Over time (and reading product packaging and reviews) you will learn.

Will keep in mind

On 11/19/2016 at 2:18 AM, RealGamer said:

Not planning to use that technique, besides it would only work on normal consumers, if someone like Linus or Jay walks in, i am screwed.

yeah watch out that method wont work on 1 out of 10,000 that walk in like Linus or Jay. Logic is good