Wireless internet in a Camper Questions

Hello Everyone!

My name is DoubleTreble and I come to you today with a question. My parents own a camper and like to travel around the country but have ran into a problem. They are having a hard time recieveing the WIFI signal that the camper site usually provides. I have come up with a plan to remedy this but I had a few questions about it so I wanted to ask here before I moved forward with anything.

My Idea was to use an external antenna to point at the Wireless AP that the campground provides access from. Then I was planning on using a wireless AP inside of the camper near the window so that they would have internet inside of the camper and on the outside in front of the window.

From my searching I have found this antenna:

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/airgridm/

And I was planning on using this Wireless AP

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0XM-0013-00050&cm_re=ubiquiti-_-0XM-0013-00050-_-Product

My questions are as follows concering this combo.

1. Should I upgrade to a wireless antenna that picks up 5ghz even though I do not think most camper sites provide 5ghz connectivity.

2. I would like to have a 2.4ghz antenna but I cannot seem to find the Airgrid I mentioned above, Is their a better External antenna on the market?

3. Are their outdoor wireless AP's my parents could use for better connectivity outside of the camper?

If their are any further questions I will be monitoring this thread and answering any questions about senarios/other things.

Thank you all in advance for your help,

DoubleTreble

i think all 5 ghz antenas work with 2.4 so if you go for one ehhh why not?

Also 1 thing you can try - make some cheap old router into a repeater ( a lot of guides on the web)  - with my old tp-link 740n I get huge range of the signal and in general the WDS setup on tp-link  is easy (except when it decides to be an ass..... very ofter XD)

Thank you both Komar and JaredM54 for replying so quickly!

Komar:

I didn't know that 5ghz antennas will work for 2.4 signals, That's awesome!

Also It would be really nice to save some money by making an old router into a repeater. To do this should I just go to walmart and get a basic router?

JaredM54:

Would the Nanostation work better than an antenna for my situation? I did look at it but I thought it needed an antenna pointed towards it to be effective.

Appreciate all the help guys!

DoubleTreble

4 minutes ago, DoubleTreble said:

Thank you both Komar and JaredM54 for replying so quickly!

Komar:

I didn't know that 5ghz antennas will work for 2.4 signals, That's awesome!

Also It would be really nice to save some money by making an old router into a repeater. To do this should I just go to walmart and get a basic router?

JaredM54:

Would the Nanostation work better than an antenna for my situation? I did look at it but I thought it needed an antenna pointed towards it to be effective.

Appreciate all the help guys!

DoubleTreble

5ghz antennas wont work with 2.4ghz, its just most common to have 5ghz routers to have both 5ghz and 2.4ghz. However if you get a 5ghz Nanostation it will be 5ghz ONLY and will not receive 2.4ghz signal.

Nanostations are cheap, small, and reliable, the Airmax antenna you first linked is pretty large and for what you are doing is way overkill and not worth the hassle IMO.

The UAP-AC-LR might also be overkill... depends on how far you want the signal to go from the camper. If you are going to be within 100 feet or so of the camper most of the time I'd save the money and just get the UAP-AC-Lite.