sandy bridge vs skylake

Hi, recently I came up with an idea to upgrade my PC because I can't really play any new title games. (i7-2600, 8GB RAM, GTX 560, 550W PSU, Intel mobo). I decided to buy only graphics card this year because I only have enough money for it (will probably buy MSI gaming X RX 480 8GB), but I am thinking should I upgrade all other components as well in upcoming year when I'll have enough money. Or is this enough to wait for something else that will come after Kaby lake?

Wait for kaby lake, your i7 2600 is still capable of doing magic

Going GPu first is best way currently yes. Saving up for next year once Kaby/Zen has launched can give you nice options or even good 2ndhand skylake deals. Difference between Sky/Kaby does not seem to be that huge currently.

Anyway investing in a good new platform then can last you several years again.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

14 hours ago, Gonio said:

Going GPu first is best way currently yes. Saving up for next year once Kaby/Zen has launched can give you nice options or even good 2ndhand skylake deals. Difference between Sky/Kaby does not seem to be that huge currently.

Anyway investing in a good new platform then can last you several years again.

Thanks for your suggestion. Also my friend decided to build a gaming PC since he never had one. He doesn't have a lot of money for it and would better invest in a graphics card, maybe gtx 1070 or something like it. Instead of him buying an i3 skylake cpu I suggested him to buy used i5-2500k and a mobo something like Z77. Or should he better buy the i3?

Well if the 2nd hand is still proper working and not to expensive is always nice to start out, but it gets outdated. So setting him up currently with a good platform might go a longer way, instead of going old. So despite a non OCable i3, he could still consider a Z170 board so he can upgrade in the future to better CPU. However I also heard there will come a unlocked i3 for Kabylake, what might be nice if he doesn't have the highest wishes or doens't want to spend to much. But it's wait and see how the actual prices will be.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list