Connecting Desktop PC to WiFi?

nkucz

Hey guys,

I know that optimally you should connect your gaming PC to the internet via ethernet cable to get the best results. However, for some of us, including myself this is simply not possible for reasons of our own. For example, I'm currently enrolled in school in live in apartment/dorm type thing off campus, but we are connected to the schools WiFi and that is our only solution for internet. I assume that the next best option would be to buy a dedicated Wireless Network PCI card, but there are so many options with so many different reviews. Some are extremely expensive while others are rather cheap, I'm not sure how much I need to spend in order to get a really solid card. After all my research I have come across a few options that I'd be willing to pay for! (The cheaper the better, at the end of the day this is a budget build). Anyway, I will link the cards below and I'm asking for your help in deciding which one of these to get or if you have a better option please link it below!

Gigabyte:

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GC-WB867D-I-Bluetooth-Adapter-Computer/dp/B00HF8K0O6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Asus:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JNA337K/?tag=pcpapi-20

TP-Link (honorable mention):

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-450Mbps-Wireless-Express-TL-WDN4800/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479293767&sr=8-2&keywords=tp+link+wireless+network+card

Upcoming Build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/nkucz/saved/x3hgsY

Thanks guys!

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

The Gigabyte option looks good because it has Bluetooth capability as well. It should be good for you.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Do you know what protocol network uses? From those I'd pick Asus, but would also check some USB options too. TP-Link has its up with movable antenna in case you have bad reception in your room.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Do you know what protocol network uses? From those I'd pick Asus, but would also check some USB options too. TP-Link has its up with movable antenna in case you have bad reception in your room.

I have absolutely no idea, they don't post any information about their network online. I'd rather go with the Gigabyte if I don't really need the Asus as it's like another $20. The Gigabyte also has a movable antenna (as does the Asus) which I really like as a feature. 

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

17 minutes ago, nkucz said:

I have absolutely no idea, they don't post any information about their network online. I'd rather go with the Gigabyte if I don't really need the Asus as it's like another $20. The Gigabyte also has a movable antenna (as does the Asus) which I really like as a feature. 

Gigabytes problem is that its only N900 while two others are AC. But if you aren't sure which standard network uses, it might not matter.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Gigabytes problem is that its only N900 while two others are AC. But if you aren't sure which standard network uses, it might not matter.

What are the downsides between N900 and AC, also if the Asus is going to make a noticeable difference and will last longer, I have no problem spending a little extra to get it I guess. 

two generic recommendations:

- get something with an antenna on a wire, so the antennas arent pressed against the back of what is essentially a farraday cage

- get something PCIe (you seemingly already nailed this one)

beyond that, they're essentially all the same amount of suckyness.

I'd definitely go for the Asus simply because of the Wireless AC support which could be useful in the future for you.

As @manikyath mentioned, getting one that has the antennas able to be positioned away from the rear of the case is ideal. Two models up in the Asus line-up, the AC68 supports this and I've had experience with it and it's a very good product!

If you can spare the extra cash I think it's worth the extra 30 bucks or so. You may be able to find it cheaper if you look around I just checked amazon as that is what you posted above.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads