CPU Locked in at 4.20 GHz at 8% load

When I first got my Intel Core i7 4790K, my CPU fluctuated normally from 2.3-3.5GHz at idle and browsing clock speeds and boosts to 4.4GHz when gaming in a CPU intensive game. Recently, this has changed and now the CPU is locked in at 4.20GHz at light loads and sometimes going to 4.4GHz when required. I have noticed a slight increase the temperature and voltage which is not satisfying for me, since I would rather have the voltage and temperature go back down and up when needed. In my BIOS settings, Intel EIST is enabled, Intel turbo boost is also enabled, and MSI's enhanced boost is enabled to further help Intel's turbo boost. I have only installed a few games and BIOS and driver updates prior before the problem occurred. If anyone has any ideas to return my CPU into its former state, it would be appreciated, as I have tried resetting the BIOS settings to default settings, looking at software that have been installed with the drivers and updates through MSI live update 6, such as MSI Command Command Center, since it does have the ability to change CPU settings and voltages, but the situation has not been changed.

COMPUTER SPECIFICATIONS:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K clocked at 4.0GHz

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i with Corsair Link enabled

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 ATX

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-2400 Neniry

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 128GB and Western Digital Black Series 1TB

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card

PSU: Corsair RM 650 80+ Gold Certified

13 minutes ago, Sears501 said:

When I first got my Intel Core i7 4790K, my CPU fluctuated normally from 2.3-3.5GHz at idle and browsing clock speeds and boosts to 4.4GHz when gaming in a CPU intensive game. Recently, this has changed and now the CPU is locked in at 4.20GHz at light loads and sometimes going to 4.4GHz when required. I have noticed a slight increase the temperature and voltage which is not satisfying for me, since I would rather have the voltage and temperature go back down and up when needed. In my BIOS settings, Intel EIST is enabled, Intel turbo boost is also enabled, and MSI's enhanced boost is enabled to further help Intel's turbo boost. I have only installed a few games and BIOS and driver updates prior before the problem occurred. If anyone has any ideas to return my CPU into its former state, it would be appreciated, as I have tried resetting the BIOS settings to default settings, looking at software that have been installed with the drivers and updates through MSI live update 6, such as MSI Command Command Center, since it does have the ability to change CPU settings and voltages, but the situation has not been changed.

COMPUTER SPECIFICATIONS:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K clocked at 4.0GHz

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i with Corsair Link enabled

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 ATX

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-2400 Neniry

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 128GB and Western Digital Black Series 1TB

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card

PSU: Corsair RM 650 80+ Gold Certified

check your cpu power management.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

It's fine, It makes small things like opening chrome faster. But if you really want to turn it off, try cpu power management as said above.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

21 hours ago, SeanAngelo said:

check your cpu power management.

I tried that, and the only thing that changed the clock speed what the maximum processor state setting, which permanently clocked the processor to lower the normal speed. As for the minimum processor state setting, changing it did not effect the clock speed at all. As for setting my power setting from high performance to balanced, it immediately reverted back to high performance for unknown reasons.

19 minutes ago, Sears501 said:

I tried that, and the only thing that changed the clock speed what the maximum processor state setting, which permanently clocked the processor to lower the normal speed. As for the minimum processor state setting, changing it did not effect the clock speed at all. As for setting my power setting from high performance to balanced, it immediately reverted back to high performance for unknown reasons.

check your BIOS?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 hour ago, SeanAngelo said:

check your BIOS?

Hit F6 to restore setting to default, no change.