Should I upgrade my CPU and motherboard?

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting here but I watch LTT all the time and thought this would be a good place to ask my question.

So I recently wanted to get back into PC gaming and streaming but I needed a PC.  I found a Dell XPS 8500 for only $125 so I grabbed it. I have been upgrading it gradually over the last few months and only

have a few things left to do.  Upgrade my CPU, my

motherboard and my hard drive.  

I currently have an Intel i7 3770 3.4/3.8 boost on a Dell motherboard.  It has 1 PCIE x16 2.0 slot and a few PCIE x1 slots.  Would it be worth it for me to get an i7 6700K and a z170 board to benefit from DDR4 memory and PCIE 3.0 or am I better off waiting until the spring/summer when the new units come out? 

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I hope you are having a great day!

Current specs:

Intel i7 3770 3.4/3.8 GHz

16GB PNY DDR3 

NVIDIA GTX 1070 Founders

Corsair 750w Modular PSU

Dell Motherboard

Cooler Master HAF 932

6 minutes ago, DeadHeadGamingYT said:

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting here but I watch LTT all the time and thought this would be a good place to ask my question.

So I recently wanted to get back into PC gaming and streaming but I needed a PC.  I found a Dell XPS 8500 for only $125 so I grabbed it. I have been upgrading it gradually over the last few months and only

I currently have an Intel i7 3770 3.4/3.8 boost on a Dell motherboard.  It has 1 PCIE x16 2.0 slot and a few PCIE x1 slots.  Would it be worth it for me to get an i7 6700K and a z170 board to benefit from DDR4 memory and PCIE 3.0 or am I better off waiting until the spring/summer when the new units come out? 

Current specs:

16GB PNY DDR3 

NVIDIA GTX 1070 Founders

Corsair 750w Modular PSU

Dell Motherboard

Cooler Master HAF 932

If you need to start streaming as a priority and can't wait then go for it... otherwise you could wait for kaby lake (even though it's not that much of a jump in performance to the current gen)

Edit: You should go ahead and upgrade... I just realised you have a 4 year old cpu

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Your CPU is still fine for now. Upgrading to a newer i7 will see a little bit of benefits when streaming and gaming, but it wont be a night and day difference. It would also likely require a new PC case since OEM's like Dell tend to not use standard ATX size motherboards.

When in doubt, re-format.

3 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Your CPU is still fine for now. Upgrading to a newer i7 will see a little bit of benefits when streaming and gaming, but it wont be a night and day difference. It would also likely require a new PC case since OEM's like Dell tend to not use standard ATX size motherboards.

Cooler Master HAF 932 google it...

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I would just wait. The difference in Ram speeds for a processor is not as big as for an apu. It will give you a couple more fps thanks to the i7 6700k but i would recommend to wait. welcome to the forum by the way!

Upgrade other components while you wait for Kabylake or Zen. That CPU is fine for now.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

Just now, XenosTech said:

Cooler Master HAF 932 google it...

LOL, I missed that part, just saw the dell bit, didn't see the case. In either way, I wouldn't bother upgrading yet unless you feel like you are being slowed down by the CPU, OR, if you have the extra cash.

When in doubt, re-format.

Just now, pwn_intended said:

LOL, I missed that part, just saw the dell bit, didn't see the case. In either way, I wouldn't bother upgrading yet unless you feel like you are being slowed down by the CPU, OR, if you have the extra cash.

xD

21 minutes ago, DeadHeadGamingYT said:

Current specs:

16GB PNY DDR3 

NVIDIA GTX 1070 Founders

Corsair 750w Modular PSU

Dell Motherboard

Cooler Master HAF 932

I'd say try to find H77/Z77 motherboard, so that you have PCI-E 3.0 (althou 2.0 is not a bottleneck), since 3770 should still be powerfull enough.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

5 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

I'd say try to find H77/Z77 motherboard, so that you have PCI-E 3.0 (althou 2.0 is not a bottleneck), since 3770 should still be powerfull enough.

Waste of money, 2.0 isn't going to make any diff. I'd stick with his current match up, that CPU can handle that GPU fairly well, not a huge diff in fps in games. If he can wait another year or so and get some use out of that 1070 and his current build then he can save and build a whole new rig later on that will be a much bigger jump than what he will get if he does it now.

CPU is good get a new motherboard, you can just go on amazon and find a good one for like $100

Thank you guys a bunch :) I am going to get my CPU cooler and SSD out of the way first.  I know my CPU is old but I really haven't found any worthy upgrades to be honest.  You guys are awesome 

1 hour ago, DunePilot said:

I'd wait for the new stuff. What monitor do you have, might be better spent on a new monitor.

I have an ASUS 144hz 1080p :)

2 minutes ago, DeadHeadGamingYT said:

Thank you guys a bunch :) I am going to get my CPU cooler and SSD out of the way first.  I know my CPU is old but I really haven't found any worthy upgrades to be honest.  You guys are awesome 

You should get a good monitor instead. If I had money to spend, I'd get that Acer Predator X34.

What monitor are you currently using?

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

2 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

You should get a good monitor instead. If I had money to spend, I'd get that Acer Predator X34.

What monitor are you currently using?

It's in the post above yours :)

My main problem is that it seems to be hard to fine a board with my socket type and everything I can use, seems like an odd ball CPU

4 minutes ago, DeadHeadGamingYT said:

It's in the post above yours :)

Ha, posted the same time I made my comment. Your's is pretty cool but don't you want to push for 4k or ultra-wide or something?

You could still sell your's for a pretty penny ^_^

1 minute ago, DeadHeadGamingYT said:

My main problem is that it seems to be hard to fine a board with my socket type and everything I can use, seems like an odd ball CPU

Why would you upgrade your board? You could use the money to save for a new system.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

3 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Ha, posted the same time I made my comment. Your's is pretty cool but don't you want to push for 4k or ultra-wide or something?

You could still sell your's for a pretty penny ^_^

Why would you upgrade your board? You could use the money to save for a new system.

Idk, I love swapping out PC parts and I hate waiting lmao.  It's a serious problem.  But yeah I am going to wait.  I'm going to suck it up until the new CPUs come out.  I honestly love my monitor.  I will get a better display once I have my PC up and running with a really wicked good GPU setup and everything.  For now I'm going to get my Noctua cooler and my

Samsung Evo SSD.  Then in a year or so I'll do a full build and go balls to the wall.

2 minutes ago, DeadHeadGamingYT said:

Idk, I love swapping out PC parts and I hate waiting lmao.  It's a serious problem.  But yeah I am going to wait.  I'm going to suck it up until the new CPUs come out.  I honestly love my monitor.  I will get a better display once I have my PC up and running with a really wicked good GPU setup and everything.  For now I'm going to get my Noctua cooler and my

Samsung Evo SSD.  Then in a year or so I'll do a full build and go balls to the wall.

That's a good decision. Upgrading piece by piece is hard and could get frustrating because your choices would be limited as compared to getting a completely new one.

I'd buy some LED strips while waiting for the next tick if I were you, just for fun xD

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

That's a good decision. Upgrading piece by piece is hard and could get frustrating because your choices would be limited as compared to getting a completely new one.

I'd buy some LED strips while waiting for the next tick if I were you, just for fun xD

Lmao.  That's not a bad idea.  I do want to do some work to my case since I don't see myself replacing it.  I absolutely love this case, so it's probably benefit from some real fans and some lights.  I have the nice full clear panel for it but I am using the stock one with the huge fan on it because I worry about temps.  But if I have some real fans I'll be okay.  

20 minutes ago, DeadHeadGamingYT said:

Lmao.  That's not a bad idea.  I do want to do some work to my case since I don't see myself replacing it.  I absolutely love this case, so it's probably benefit from some real fans and some lights.  I have the nice full clear panel for it but I am using the stock one with the huge fan on it because I worry about temps.  But if I have some real fans I'll be okay.  

I'd definitely get a new case, I've had that one and it was awesome 5 years ago and is huge but building in some of the newer Fractal, Case Labs, NZXT cases etc are soooo much nicer. Lots of small improvements over these last 5 years. In Win cases are awesome too but not for a novice, form over function with a lot of their cases.

Sounds like you have a good set up. Consider some other things you would rather upgrade imo, desk, mixer and mic, chair, etc...

47 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

I'd definitely get a new case, I've had that one and it was awesome 5 years ago and is huge but building in some of the newer Fractal, Case Labs, NZXT cases etc are soooo much nicer. Lots of small improvements over these last 5 years. In Win cases are awesome too but not for a novice, form over function with a lot of their cases.

Sounds like you have a good set up. Consider some other things you would rather upgrade imo, desk, mixer and mic, chair, etc...

I'm not too picky with cases so I'll def take a look around.  My only real requirements for cases are bottom mount PSU (top mounts freak me out, idk why), lots of air flow and good options for wire management.  And the less flashy the better. I'll take a look for sure.