Moving a PC

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum section. I am moving overseas (From Hawai'i to the US East Coast for anyone wondering) and I have a computer that I want to move with me. I got the PC a little over a year ago, and don't need to upgrade yet, so I'm not going to yank the hard drive and sell the PC on craigslist. Anyway, I was wondering how the best way to ship it is. I plan to backup my data and take the hard drive with me on the plane, and remove my GPU and aftermarket CPU cooler. Are there any "secret tips" I should know about? Thanks in advanced!

Shipping PC's is always a bit risky. If I were you I'd take it apart completely. What case do you have? If it's a cheap one it might cost more to ship it that the case is worth. But saying that the main things to get damaged are the GPU and cooler and you plan to remove them anyway. If you take it apart and leave the case you will get it all in your luggage. Maybe sell the case before you leave?

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

1 minute ago, Gazereths said:

Shipping PC's is always a bit risky. If I were you I'd take it apart completely. What case do you have? If it's a cheap one it might cost more to ship it that the case is worth. But saying that the main things to get damaged are the GPU and cooler and you plan to remove them anyway.

I have a pretty crummy case. I am debating to sell the case for a quick buck, and Fedexing the Parts. Shipping anything from Hawai'i is very expensive so I planning against that. Thanks for your input :3

* insert pc specs here*

Also, I am the original poster, I made a new account so I didn't have random numbers as a username.

* insert pc specs here*

47 minutes ago, 115333_1454180247 said:

Snip

#1 advice would be to disassemble and ship everything in its original packaging. that is definitely the safest way to ensure everything arrives accordingly. You could also just take out any really heavy components (typically your CPU heatsink and GPU heatsink). If you have a small heatsink and small GPU, you can probably ship as is as they are unlikely to case issues unless there is unnecessarily rough handling (you could always mark as fragile and "this side up" to reduce the odds of this)

2 hours ago, Zyndo said:

#1 advice would be to disassemble and ship everything in its original packaging. that is definitely the safest way to ensure everything arrives accordingly. You could also just take out any really heavy components (typically your CPU heatsink and GPU heatsink). If you have a small heatsink and small GPU, you can probably ship as is as they are unlikely to case issues unless there is unnecessarily rough handling (you could always mark as fragile and "this side up" to reduce the odds of this)

ive heard many places and seen in videos that packages labelled fragile are VERY often treated intentionally worse by angry carriers. its unfortunate but that would appear to be the truth :/

Just now, Fluffbuck3t said:

ive heard many places and seen in videos that packages labelled fragile are VERY often treated intentionally worse by angry carriers. its unfortunate but that would appear to be the truth :/

by videos i mean like cctv footage of such package abuse

5 hours ago, Fluffbuck3t said:

depends on the kind of courier... that could certainly be the case with luggage and airport people who have very little responsibility for your stuff... but for a company like FedEx, who makes their living on transporting goods, they will have fragile goods transportation protocols (and in some cases will sell shipping insurance, although i do not FedEx's exact policies). As delicate as a computer may be when shipped, i guarantee they ship much more fragile things from all sorts of companies to all sorts of customers around the world on a daily basis.

There are bound to be extremists in any statistic... if your package meets the hand of a crazy dude, he very well might trash it if he's having a bad day... but that isn't going to be the majority of people.

you can carry it on the plane lmao its carryon they cant really do anything

Remove GPU and put it in it's box.  Remove the cooler and put it in it's box.  Take hard drive out.  Make sure everything else is secured.  Pack everything up nice and tight and good.

There will always be a risk shipping computer parts, but this should help alleviate most potential issues.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.