PC will turn on but won't boot

SeePree

Hello again, I asked this question before but got little help so here I am asking it again.

I put my PC into sleep mode then went to wake it up and it wouldnt wake up so I turned it off thinking that it would turn back on, it didn't. In fact it wont even turn on anymore. Every fan spins on my case and cooler and GPU and psu but no boot just a black screen.

The CPU is fine too because it heats up (right?)

I've tried: 

New ram

New CMOS battery

Clearing CMOS 

Reseating everything

New Mobo

Also can a GPU stop a PC from posting like ram does? And the same with a psu, can that stop it from posting? If the fans still spin on the GPU does that mean its still alive? 

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Potentially the GPU could... did you try to boot without it on the iGPU (in case you have one)

allso a little build list from your sister would help figuring out what is going on ;)

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

22 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Potentially the GPU could... did you try to boot without it on the iGPU (in case you have one)

allso a little build list from your sister would help figuring out what is going on ;)

Motherboard: GA-970A-UD3P

CPU: FX 6300

PSU: EVGA Supernova 550w

GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC

Drives: Adata 120gb SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1tb

Ok... this CPU does not have a iGPU 

did you unplug everything like USB stuff from the pc?

do you have an other GPU to swap out and see if it works?

google told me allso your MOBO has dual bios... did you try switching to the second one? Maybe one is corrupted

oh and before I forgot to answer one of your questions 

spinning fans are always a god thing but your GPU or CPU could potentially still be bad 

core and fan controller are some completely sepperate things on GPUs 

19 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Ok... this CPU does not have a iGPU 

did you unplug everything like USB stuff from the pc?

do you have an other GPU to swap out and see if it works?

google told me allso your MOBO has dual bios... did you try switching to the second one? Maybe one is corrupted

oh and before I forgot to answer one of your questions 

spinning fans are always a god thing but your GPU or CPU could potentially still be bad 

core and fan controller are some completely sepperate things on GPUs 

I do not have another GPU to swap out and I don't know how to swap bios.. I'll search it up I unplugged everything as well

3 minutes ago, SeePree said:

I do not have another GPU to swap out and I don't know how to swap bios.. I'll search it up I unplugged everything as well

There is most likely a switch on your mobo saying bios A/B

connsidder your manual :)

No luck on anything, guess I'll take it to a repair shop... :(

Hm maybe the CPU or GPU are realy dead.... :(

but keep us updated 

1 hour ago, Metallus97 said:

Hm maybe the CPU or GPU are realy dead.... :(

but keep us updated 

We'll see on monday

I had exactly the same symptoms....

In my case the CPU was faulty... I got a brand new piece from its warranty and it worked flawlessly

19 hours ago, dikshant said:

I had exactly the same symptoms....

In my case the CPU was faulty... I got a brand new piece from its warranty and it worked flawlessly

Did yours heat up or did it not?

cpu can do this, I one up cpu problem. cpu, ram, mobo, and some times psu. will cause this. however if you have the pc speaker in, it should beep at you for ram. If its not beeping and not passing post, you got a bad mobo or cpu and the mobo was already replaced.

And if the cpu is bad, theoretically any thing can happen. If the computer is still on, the cpu is still getting juice and it could heatup imo. Also hardware can die in many different ways. maybe there is a short inside the cpu and it heats up as a result ? You can try taking a similar socket'ed motherboard and plugging in the cpu, if it posts and starts loading you got a decent idea that it wont be that..

But I will say up front, I had a bad cpu I dubbed the computer killer. It was damaged in such a specific way that every motherboard i plugged it into, it would fry that motherboard. This comes as a warning but also as a example of the nature of hardware failures, yours may not do this but it can fail in such ways where it may do anything. 

Also if you replaced the motherboard, ram and there is no dedicated graphics card, that leaves very few components to be faulty imo, so I'd stick with bad cpu, you can try using your own psu to boot it, maybe its not getting the voltage it needs to boot. But otherwise I would try another motherboard laying around that you know works (and is the same socket) with all of its own components on it. If it doesn't boot after plugging in your cpu but did or does with the original cpu you had on that spare board. It's def a bad cpu.

Of course this is all based of my experience and thus just my two cents.

5 minutes ago, ElSeniorTaco said:

cpu can do this. I one up cpu problem. And if it is bad, theoretically any thing can happen. If the computer is still on the cpu is still getting juice and it could heatup imo. Also hardware can die in many different ways. maybe there is a short inside the cpu and it heats up as a result ? You can try taking a similar socket'ed motherboard and plugging in the cpu, if it posts and starts loading you got a decent idea that it wont be that..

But I will say up front, I had a bad cpu I dubbed the computer killer. It was damaged in such a specific way that every motherboard i plugged it into, it would fry that motherboard. This comes as a warning but also as a example of the nature of hardware failures, yours may not do this but it can fail in such ways where it may do anything. 

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into it

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2016 at 9:55 PM, ElSeniorTaco said:

cpu can do this, I one up cpu problem. cpu, ram, mobo, and some times psu. will cause this. however if you have the pc speaker in, it should beep at you for ram. If its not beeping and not passing post, you got a bad mobo or cpu and the mobo was already replaced.

And if the cpu is bad, theoretically any thing can happen. If the computer is still on, the cpu is still getting juice and it could heatup imo. Also hardware can die in many different ways. maybe there is a short inside the cpu and it heats up as a result ? You can try taking a similar socket'ed motherboard and plugging in the cpu, if it posts and starts loading you got a decent idea that it wont be that..

Also if you replaced the motherboard, ram and there is no dedicated graphics card, that leaves very few components to be faulty imo, so I'd stick with bad cpu, you can try using your own psu to boot it, maybe its not getting the voltage it needs to boot. But otherwise I would try another motherboard laying around that you know works (and is the same socket) with all of its own components on it. If it doesn't boot after plugging in your cpu but did or does with the original cpu you had on that spare board. It's def a bad cpu.

If you're reading this and to anyone who stumbles across this thread I had a burnt out CPU... Thanks man!