RAM Upgrade - Freeze on Post

Go to solution Solved by 1Reshiram12,

Honestly, that's probably a motherboard problem. That's an old motherboard from a brand that I don't know a lot about and isn't on my "trustworthy mobo brands" list. I will do research on the brand, but sounds like you need a new mobo to me.

First off. I'm new here. "Hi Mike" "Thanks everyone!"

lol, okay. So, I was upgrading my bro's 2010 rig. Got him a used GTX770 and that works great.

I also upgraded his RAM to go from 4GB to 8GB. He had 4x1GB sticks. So I got him 2x4GB sticks.

His motherboard is BioStar TH55XE
The RAM that I got him is G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
I got the RAM and tested it out and it would freeze on post.

I tried testing the sticks individually in different slots and it did the same thing.
I took the CMOS battery out and let the BIOS reset and used 1 stick of RAM and I finally got it to get into the BIOS.
I attempted to run a memtest86 on it and this happened.
Needless to say, Windows would not boot, either.
I tried lower mhz and raising voltage a little bit and it didn't help at all.
I didn't mess with timings because I'm not that 1337 lol but it seemed to be correct.

I then found the motherboard's RAM compatibility list.
So I got 2x4GB sticks that were on that list, also G.Skill
This was the 2nd new RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
I returned the other RAM and was hopeful that this new set would work since it was on the compatibility list.
The same issues occurred with this new 2nd set of RAM.

What do you think the problem is? Should I try a different brand of 4GB sticks or just try 4x2GB sticks?
Do you think my board doesn't like higher capacity RAM for some reason? If so, why?

Honestly, that's probably a motherboard problem. That's an old motherboard from a brand that I don't know a lot about and isn't on my "trustworthy mobo brands" list. I will do research on the brand, but sounds like you need a new mobo to me.

Just now, 1Reshiram12 said:

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. Any brands you recommend?

I use Asus, just sayin. I chose them origionally because of their collective customer reviews so I would recommend it. At this point that socket is half a decade old, so you should consider upgrading to the lga1151 socket.

15 minutes ago, CrazyNinjaMike said:

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. Any brands you recommend?

i have a gigabyte one which is working great , msi are pretty good to