Nevermind, ignore this post.

Go to solution Solved by arch_linuxos,

A 6600k is only like twenty dollars more than a 6600 - sure you can't find a little more and get a cheaper mobo/ram/case or something? 

I'd get the 6600 though. I doubt you're going to get the 6400 above 3.9GHz, and if you're using the BCLK mode, you're never going to be able to update your BIOS, so your system could be more unstable and you could miss out on improvements. 

you cant overclock an I5 6400, even on a Z170 motherboard(well you could try getting like 2% extra with BCLK) so the I5 6600 would be better

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

A 6600k is only like twenty dollars more than a 6600 - sure you can't find a little more and get a cheaper mobo/ram/case or something? 

I'd get the 6600 though. I doubt you're going to get the 6400 above 3.9GHz, and if you're using the BCLK mode, you're never going to be able to update your BIOS, so your system could be more unstable and you could miss out on improvements. 

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

you cant overclock an I5 6400, even on a Z170 motherboard(well you could try getting like 2% extra with BCLK) so the I5 6600 would be better

oh lol thanks. I'm gonna delete this post out of embarrassment now xD

My build in fancy text: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BWGdxY My current build: http://imgur.com/gallery/sOgMR3u

Just now, TyFilms said:

oh lol thanks. I'm gonna delete this post out of embarrassment now xD

you cant, only mods can, just to add to the pain lol :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

you cant, only mods can, just to add to the pain lol :P 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My build in fancy text: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BWGdxY My current build: http://imgur.com/gallery/sOgMR3u