Gpu passiv cooling mod

Go to solution Solved by PCGuy_5960,
2 minutes ago, OCXenox said:

Thanks a lot PCGuy_5960 for your great response and giving me your opinion!

Now i think i can close this thread. :D

NP, glad I could help :D

Hey there!

I just had a sudden inspiration! But first let me tell you the instancees:

I My sister needs a new PC and I thought of a SFF build because she isnt a nerd like me. And after some research I really started liking the Node 202. And now I am not sure if I could put a passiv cooled GPU like the gtx 1050 ti or rx 470 with two case fans in there.

To this related another question appeared:

Is it possible to fit the heatsink of my now watercooled gtx 980 ti onto the gtx 1050 ti so i dont need to buy a 3rd party one from e.g. arctic or so?

I am looking forward to hearing your opinions or experience on this.

PS: I found out that the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III fits onto the msi gtx 1050 ti because this card also features 58mm spaced holes:http://www.tomshardware.de/pascal-gtx-1050-ti-passivkuhlung-umbau-messung,testberichte-242263.html

Passively cooled GPU = Bad idea

But if you buy a 1050, you always will get a cooler on it, and that cooler is usually good enough

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

The RX 470 will thermal throttle with a passive cooler, especially in the Node 202 which has bad airflow.... The 1050 Ti might thermal throttle as well, but it will be less noticeable when compared to the RX 470...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

39 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The RX 470 will thermal throttle with a passive cooler, especially in the Node 202 which has bad airflow.... The 1050 Ti might thermal throttle as well, but it will be less noticeable when compared to the RX 470...

But on the other hand there will be 2x 120 mm directly in front of it, working like normal gpu fans, only more quiet and swapable. 

at 11:36 u can see the extra fans which are, in my point of view, useless because so u have 2 fans directly pushing at each other. Arent the pre installed GPU fans expendable?

PS: also at 12:05 he starts talking about the fans he installed

@OCXenox Well then, I believe that you can mod a 980Ti Hetsink to fit on a 1050 Ti... If you can't do that, Arctic will work just fine!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Thanks..but my only problem is that i dont have the money to TRY...-.- If the 980ti heatsink doesnt fit onto the 1050ti i am a bit screwed...

1 minute ago, OCXenox said:

Thanks..but my only problem is that i dont have the money to TRY...-.- If the 980ti heatsink doesnt fit onto the 1050ti i am a bit screwed...

It most likely won't fit without modding the heatsink (if it is even possible)

Your best bet is this:

https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-s3.html

And I am not sure if it fits (both on the GPU and in the Node 202)

If you want, you can remove the fan shroud from the card and leave just the heatsink...

BTW, which 1050 Ti are you going to buy?

Oh and another problem might be the limited space behind the graphics card. So the heatsinks like on the Arctic S3 also might not fit..who knows?

Get this, as the heatsink is the best you can get on a GTX 1050 Ti and you can remove the fan shroud to get a passively cooled GPU...

Oh and another problem might be the limited space behind the graphics card. So the heatsinks like on the Arctic S3 also might not fit..who knows?

I don't think it will...

I am not sure because looking at this picture the backplate seems almost plane with the case back plate mounts

4.JPG

I am not sure because looking at this picture the backplate seems almost plane with the case back plate mounts

That is a 970/980/980 Ti, they are massive, the 1050 Ti is much smaller and you can remove the backplate if you don't want it (or if it interferes with the case) as the backplate doesn't affect anything...

Yes yes but the problem is the space in terms of hight from the backside of the gpu to the backpanel of the caes because the Arctic S3 cooler has a huge backside cooler for the power phases and so.

Yes yes but the problem is the space in terms of hight from the backside of the gpu to the backpanel of the caes because the Arctic S3 cooler has a huge backside cooler for the power transformers and so.

Yes... The Gigabyte's backplate can be removed as it doesn't have any other purpose aside from aesthetics, so, you can remove the fan shroud and the backplate and get a great passively cooled GPU :)

You think that this will be enough? Because the heatsink on the msi 1050ti is rather small i think.

You think that this will be enough? Because the heatsink on the msi 1050ti is rather small i think.

Yes! The G1 Gaming lineup from Gigabyte has one of the the best coolers you can get! And it runs passively before temps reach 50C, so by cooling it with fans that are on the case you will have no issues whatsoever.

6 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

And it runs passively before temps reach 50C,

OOh yes forgot that one...so maybe it will work. And because the added fans are going to be static pressure fans it could be even better...hhhmm.

Just now, OCXenox said:

OOh yes forgot that one...so maybe it will work. And because the added fans are going to be static pressure fans it could be even better...hhhmm.

Yes! It depends on the RPM that the fans spin at of course, but they might end up being better, as the stock ones are fairly small...

NP, glad I could help :D

One last question...how can i close this topic completely?

Just now, OCXenox said:

One last question...how can i close this topic completely?

You just mark it as solved (as you did). You can't completely close the topic...