Spotify kills Hard Drives?

Mobby Dick
Go to solution Solved by Urishima,

Actually, version 1.0.42 solves this issue on all platforms. Still, they first ignored it and it took them 4 months to actually get a fix out, for an issue that could actually severly cut an SSDs lifespan. Especially if you are running an older SSD. So people have a good reason to put them on blast.

I recently read an article on how the Spotify App for Windows and OSX is writing tons of unnecessary data in the background, what is causing a much shorter lifetime for SSDs and even HDDs.

Source (sorry to all non-germans ^^):

http://www.stern.de/digital/online/spotify--warum-der-streaming-dienst-ihre-festplatte-zerstoeren-kann-7143688.html

The article was uploaded 4 hours ago by a legit german newspaper.

To sum it up quickly:

The Spotify App writes tons of data, even though they are unnecessary for music streaming. Sometimes even >100GB per day, even when not listening to music, what causes a shorter life span of both SSDs and HDDs (obviously this goes more for SSDs). The problem has been reportet since June 2016 and Spotify knows about it. Spotify says you should simply reinstall it, what doesn't seem to make it better, refering to many users. There is said to be a way to fix it yourself. However, this requires knowledge on how to use a Hex-editor. Using the web player won't cause any issues.

One of their sources: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Major-I-O-write-bytes-on-the-Spotify-Desktop-app-It-will-kill/idi-p/1476745#comments

I don't know if all this is true, but it seems like a major issue to me. That got me thinking why spotify hasn't fixed it in 4 months... (Maybe they have a deal with SSD manufacturers lol)

If you know anything about it, feel free to share your information :)

Actually, version 1.0.42 solves this issue on all platforms. Still, they first ignored it and it took them 4 months to actually get a fix out, for an issue that could actually severly cut an SSDs lifespan. Especially if you are running an older SSD. So people have a good reason to put them on blast.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.